Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PUPPP/PEP

(15 Posts)
LorryHen Tue 28-Jul-15 09:42:46

Hello smile

Over the past week I've come out in lots of small red itchy spots that look just like insect bites.

I've tried fumigating my house and different creams but last night I googled it and it came back with PEP.

I've never heard of this before by it sounds like what I have. Has anyone here had it and what were you symptoms and what helped? Also do I need to see a doctor about it?

MoreCakePlz Tue 28-Jul-15 12:43:50

I had it! Is it around your stretch marks if you have any? Apparently that's where it starts. I'd go to the Drs as soon as you can so you can have it properly diagnosed and they can give you something for it if it Progresses.

Treatment for me has been antihistamines and steroid cream from the Drs, and I've found cold baths/showers or a cold wet towel helps

MoreCakePlz Tue 28-Jul-15 12:45:38

dermnetnz.mobify.me/reactions/puppp.html My Dr recommended this website as a good source of reliable info

LorryHen Tue 28-Jul-15 12:46:47

Yeah it started amongst my stretch marks on my tummy and now it's on my bum, thighs, hands and arms. It's driving me mad!!

Thank you for replying, hopefully it is this and not something worse. I'll get to the doctors with it smile

Didiusfalco Tue 28-Jul-15 12:56:10

Yes Ive had this. It drove me absolutely mad for the last few weeks of my pregnancy. Are you having a boy? I was told it was a reaction to the male hormones. I went to the doctor on several occassions and was given antihistamines and steroid cream when it got really bad, but to be honest this only provided temporary relief. Within 24 hours of him being born it started to fade though - was really quite strange.

MoreCakePlz Tue 28-Jul-15 12:56:11

It does sound a lot like PUPPP. If it doesn't irritate your skin I found an emollient wash was quite soothing. Mines reached my feet now - I've just bought some mini freezer blocks to take the heat out of it on my heels. Anything to soothe the maddening itch!!

LorryHen Tue 28-Jul-15 13:08:02

Didiusfalco yes I am having a boy! There has been a few weird things that I've googled and it's come back as the cause. No morning sickness but these horrible itchy spots and weird hair on my tummy haha argh.

LorryHen Tue 28-Jul-15 13:09:35

Morecake argh that sounds awful. I will have to invest in some freezer blocks too. I've been using cream and it hasn't helped the rash but the coldness is good temporarily.

That link is really helpful too thank you so much!

Sausageypyramids Tue 28-Jul-15 15:46:59

Ohh, I gave birth on the 16th and had this for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy. Drove me mad, especially at night.

Dr prescribed weak steroid cream which I think helped a bit. Assuming you've got a diagnosis though I found by far the most effective thing was pine tar soap. Bought it on amazon, started by really lathering it into the rash then rinsing with cold water 3 times a day. In about 4 days it was improving and in a week rash had faded to bruise like scars (still had puppp though and if I forgot soap it'd flare up again).

On plus side I'm 12 days post natal and it's gone! Sympathy though, it was bloody horrible.

mrsatkinson Tue 28-Jul-15 18:54:54

I am currently suffering with this and posted a thread the other day BEGGING for help!

I have been prescribed steroid cream and anti histimines. for me they are doing very little. its worse on a night for me, and i have heard coal tar soap helps so have bought some to try tonight.

I havent heard carrying boys makes it worse, but first pregnancy, third trimester and multiple births put you at higher risk.
Im expecting 2 boys so maybe why mines so bad!

if you find a cure pleaseeeeee let me know!!! grin

Bluepetra Wed 29-Jul-15 01:11:49

I had this 14 years ago when I was pregnant with my son, it was horrendous to say the very least. I bled with the burning itching and pain, I also had bright red burning hot hands with urticaria like raised areas. I got aqueous cream, a steroid cream and calamine lotion. Nothing worked. I slept with my hands and stomach covered with cold water flannels which I had to keep cold during the night, same for the day, life was miserable. It disappeared as soon as I gave birth though.

MoreCakePlz Wed 29-Jul-15 12:37:50

I'm expecting a boy too. My skin is quite broken but after a week it seems to have calmed to a constant prickly itch and is quite hot, but not burning like it was last week. Just worried it's going to flare up again soon!
I've been bought some coal tar soap but I'm really wary about using it because my skins so sensitive at the moment.
Mrsatkinson i found the antihistamines and steroid cream pretty useless too sad
Glad to hear that it really does clear up after birth!

mrsatkinson Thu 30-Jul-15 20:24:09

Just an update! Ive been using coal tar soap and it seems to help! x

MoreCakePlz Thu 30-Jul-15 21:03:34

You must be so relieved! smile I tried it this morning but my skins still too sensitive - seems to be calming down on its own a bit though (phew!)

yummymango Thu 30-Jul-15 21:30:36

I had this AFTER I gave birth to my daughter. It was really weird, I didn't have it during my pregnancy, but I noticed it when I got home from the hospital! i googled it and decided not to bother going to the docs, it was very itchy and annoying but it went in a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now