Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can babies sleep through noise?

(13 Posts)
Skeppers Mon 27-Jul-15 15:23:53

Currently 38+1 so could 'drop' any day!

Obvs it's the school holidays now, and my maternity leave started today so it's the first weekday I've been home all day for a long time.

This is NOT a neighbour rant! But...our neighbour seems to suddenly have about 10 very boisterous children staying with him- I don't know where they've appeared from. They've been out playing over the weekend and today in the street. And they are LOUD. Which is fine, they are kids after all! There's one of them in particular who has this piercing, constant shriek...I have a feeling that this is going to be the norm for the next 6 weeks.

Due to the time of year and it being pretty warm down here, I've been opening windows/back door to get some air into the house and the noise from the kids outside is very loud. It sounds like they're literally playing in our house. As I say, doesn't bother me, but I'm just worried about when baby comes along and wants to sleep during the day, will the noise disturb them? Can babies sleep through loud external noise? I don't really want to get to the point where I have to keep all the doors/windows shut, especially in the summer.

Mind you, suppose I'll be getting my 'revenge' at 2am, then 5am, etc. once junior is born! grin

Iammad Mon 27-Jul-15 16:35:55

My youngest is better for all the noise tbh, having 4 older brothers and sisters he has no choice.
A bomb could explode and he would still stay asleep.
Your baby will be fine, think of all the noise your baby hears in your tummy.
Your heart beating, tummy gurgling!
It's probably quite loud in there smile

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 27-Jul-15 16:41:40

I've only got one DS so no idea if this is just him (and luck) or not but he'll sleep through anything. As long as its not a sudden noise like a police siren he's just used to chattering etc.
If you get a white noise / womb noise app it's quite surprising how noisy the womb is and they like that

luckiestgirlintheworld Mon 27-Jul-15 16:47:20

Yep, newborns do. Especially if that's all they've ever been used to. So it's doing you a favour really: if your newborn got too used to silence early on, they might require absolute silence later on.

You'll be watching TV/films while they nap on you presumably anyway so the noise shouldn't be a problem.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 27-Jul-15 16:50:58

Yep. They'll be used to noise from being in the womb anyway, so bringing them out and then immediately putting them into silent rooms to sleep just creates problems for yourself further down the line IMO.

We've never made an effort to be quiet when DS is asleep. He sleeps through absolutely anything - even a huge thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago, which had DH and I bolt upright in bed.

Skeppers Mon 27-Jul-15 16:55:47

Lovely! That's what I was hoping. With the combo of kids playing during the day and DH and I snoring all night, this baby's gonna be able to sleep through anything! grin

UrethraFranklin1 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:01:17

yep, unless you actually train them out of it, which loads of people do. You know the turn off the phone, sign on the door, no-one is allowed to flush a toilet thing...its nuts. Most babies naturally sleep through loads of noise.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:40:12

My BIL and SIL won't let people walk from one side of the room to the other while their DS is napping. Even when we're on a different floor of the house.

On one occasion we caught BIL pissing in the garden rather than go to the bathroom during naptime.

DNephew is three and yes - this has gone on since he was born confused

HeadFairy Mon 27-Jul-15 18:41:25

I used to do the hoovering when my kids were babies and were asleep... So I guess so gringrin

ARV1981 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:49:38

This is a relief to read! My neighbours are doing extensive building work next door and the people opposite are also having stuff done, so the whole street is really noisy during the day. I didn't really realise until today: been at home as I'm now on leave!!!

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Jul-15 18:56:54

With ds I could Hoover under his cot during a thunderstorm, and he wouldn't stir. With dd, she would wake up if it was raining on her windows. Different babies, different sleeping.

applecore0317 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:33:19

We use noise to get my 8 week old DD off to sleep, hoover, breast pump etc

We were at a wedding last weekend and she slept through the wedding quiz the night before and also the evening reception smile

Whatabout Mon 27-Jul-15 22:49:43

My son at 2 still sleeps through noise as we have deliberately not been precious. Even the end of days storms didnt wake him.

Don't worry you might not have baby for another month and then they'll be practically back at school (ducks and covers). It'll all be grand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now