Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy after miscarriage

(14 Posts)
Lindsmomof3 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:47:10

I had a silent miscarriage last year and didn't find out untill my scan that my little bean was gone... I'm now pregnant again and cant eat or sleep properly cuz its constantly on my mind... I have first midwife appointment on wed and worried wat she will say... I've heard I may get an early scan is this right. Any help on anyone who has been through this and wat I should expect would be a great help.

newbiefrugalgal Mon 27-Jul-15 13:54:31

Is that the same as blighted ovum?
Congrats on the positive
I feel your pain.
Try and relax
Not much else I can offer sorry

Clairejessica123 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:59:02

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a missed miscarriage last year which was found at my 12 week scan and am pregnant again. I asked at my booking in appointment about an early scan and the midwife said NHS guidelines are only to offer if 3 or more miscarriages, pain or bleeding. I choose to book a private scan when I was about 8 weeks pregnant to put my mind at ease so it may be worth looking for somewhere in your area that does these? In terms of my care nothing has been different so unless there are any other complications there are no other tests etc you should expect. I know it's hard to not worry but try and keep busy before your scan. Good luck smile

Lindsmomof3 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:07:09

How far gone are you if you don't mind me asking... Have you calmed down now since u had your private scan

Clairejessica123 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:22:41

I turned 25 weeks today. Yes the scan defiantly put my mind at rest. There are very good odds that if a heartbeat is seen at 8 weeks onwards that the risk of misscarriage is very low. I spend some time on the miscarriage board and I felt there was a lot of support there. As you can imagine I was still nervous for my 12 and 20 week scan but my early scan defiantly helped calm my nerves for a few weeks. Nerves are normal for a pregnant woman to feel even one who hasn't had a miscarriage but do mention it to your midwife if you feel that you are not coping as they will be able to offer you support

guest1234 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:32:14

I'm so sorry for your loss, I also had a miscarriage last year but I am now 26 weeks pregnant. I totally understand your worry it is really hard but try to relax and look after yourself.

I hadn't had a miscarriage before and I was offered an early scan I think it was around 6 - 7 weeks so do ask your midwife if its possible, but it might be different in some areas.

I'm sure you already know the statistics but the chances of it happening again are very slim, all you can do is take it slow and try and mange the worry, talk to your midwife about your fears sure she can put you mind at ease. All the best

Brummiegirl15 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:35:01

I've had 3 miscarriages in the last year and I'm now 13 weeks pregnant.

I've had 3 scans for this one and the fear is still there so I do think you have to learn to live with it. Which is not helpful but just take it a day at a time.

I also had a missed miscarriage for one of mine but had a scan and saw a heartbeat and the baby died soon after. For me, the scan meant my baby was ok at that particular moment.

You can book private scans though for about £100

Nousername2015 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:38:15

Come and join one of the pregnancy after mc threads OP, everyone on there is very good at holding nervous hands.
I asked my epu if they would scan me early and got told they don't but I understand in some areas they might do. I would recommend a private scan if you get chance as that should give you some reassurance.

Lindsmomof3 Tue 28-Jul-15 08:30:58

I tried to find a tread/group about mc but couldn't find it on here ill try again

happygojo Tue 28-Jul-15 09:04:33

Hiya, I had a missed miscarriage last year and I am now 38 weeks pregnant. I found out about my MC at a private scan and it was horrific, especially having then hand over £100 afterwards. It was like insult to injury. This time I decided to wait until my 12 week scan, it wasn't easy and at some points I almost caved but I am really glad I waited. At the end of the day the first trimester is pre-written from the moment of conception, nothing you do, or don't do will change the outcome. All an early scan will tell you is whether the baby is OK at that moment in time. The worry doesn't really go, but it does get less all consuming as you continue with the pregnancy. Good luck! And remember the chances of it happening again are slim

lilac3033 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:58:00

I had a missed miscarriage last April found at my 12 week scan. It was my only miscarriage and I got an early scan on the NHS. There is no harm in phoning the local EPU and asking. I arranged it through them direct, not the midwife. I got pregnant again a few months later and DD is 12 weeks tomorrow. You will always worry but the odds are it will be fine. The early scan definitely helped. I had it at 9 weeks and was told the odds of a miscarriage after that dropped to about 2 percent. Helped me relax.

Nousername2015 Tue 28-Jul-15 10:12:02

linds There's the 'posifrickintivity' thread and also one called 'best shit place to be', you'll usually find either one of those pretty high up on the pregnancy boards.

Gingernut81 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:03:38

Hi, I had 2 early miscarriages last year and when I found out I was pregnant again I was so scared. I really found it hard to believe that this one would progress too. I wasn't offered an early scan but I did have counselling which helped me see things a bit more logically. Their suggestion/opinion was that if I paid for an early scan would it make me worry any less, the honest answer when I thought about it was no! So I opted to wait until my 12 week. I'm now 33 weeks & still stress! I don't think I'll feel completely at ease until it's here! Good luck with this pregnancy xx

BumbleBee0 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:21:39

Hi, I'm having scans every fortnight at epu following 2 mcs. I think it varies by location though and some won't give you any extra scans unless you've had 3 mcs. It's definitely worth asking mw/epu though and mentioning how anxious it is making you.
Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now