Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

iCandy carrycot as Moses basket

(8 Posts)
Matilda30 Mon 27-Jul-15 08:59:11

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have an iCandy strawberry 2 and it states on the icandy website that it's suitable for overnight sleeping. Therefore I was thinking of not bothering with a Moses basket. Has anyone done this? Also, do I need to buy a separate mattress? In which case, would that be a Moses basket mattress? I might only use it for daytime sleeps as I'm hoping to get a co-sleeper (if budget allows) but we'll see. Thanks

Thanks

Christelle2207 Mon 27-Jul-15 09:10:06

Not quite the same but I had a similar dilemma with my uppababy vista.
You should not need a separate mattress, it won't fit anyway. Moses baskets are longer than prams.
Because we got given a basket, we ended up with basket upstairs and carry cot downstairs for sleeps during the day- DS also slept in it in the evenings before we went to bed. We didn't technically need the basket, we could have coped ok with just the carry cot but it was more convenient for us to have both.

You will need (flat) pram sheets for it.

Bear in mind babies grow quickly and they may outgrow the carry cot in 3-4 months. However, baskets are only slightly bigger.

WishUponAStar88 Mon 27-Jul-15 09:15:55

I had the icandy peach 3 and used the carrycot for overnight stays instead of a travel cot for a few months. I wouldn't have wanted it to be the only cot as then if we went out in the rain I'd be worried about it drying off before putting her to bed.
I have also heard that they're not great for babies sleeping in due to the solid sides so air cannot circulate as well but I don't know if that's founded on anything or scaremongering bs lol.

purplemunkey Mon 27-Jul-15 09:17:17

Our moses basket mattress fit in out Chicco Urban carry cot. Worth checking the size if you thought you might like a mattress in there.

I wouldn't bother with a moses basket if you have this as an alternative. DD grew out of hers by 3.5 months, spent the next month or so in a travel cot in our room and then moved to a cotbed in her own room.

Christelle2207 Mon 27-Jul-15 09:21:00

If you're buying a co-sleeper you would def not need a basket as well as a carrycot. Pp makes good point about it getting wet so you need one alternative but not two.

ByTheNine Mon 27-Jul-15 09:30:13

I used an iCandy carrycot for overnight sleeps for the first 3 months - a Moses basket mattress fit it perfectly and raised DD up a bit to help with air circulation. On the other hand, I never used it as a pram so didn't have to worry about it getting wet - use the car seat out and about on rainy days?

Matilda30 Mon 27-Jul-15 11:26:55

Thanks for all your advice. Still undecided. As a neurotic ftm, it seems like there are so many decisions!

Christelle2207 Mon 27-Jul-15 11:34:52

Regarding the getting wet bit is a good point but doubt I ever went out in it when it was wet! Would have just used the car tbh! I don't recall ever using the fancy rain cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now