Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urgent advice about early pregnancy

(17 Posts)
AmiL123 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:30:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

33goingon64 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:40:44

She doesn't have to take the tablet if she doesn't want to. I would think they should allow her another week to try testing hcg again and possibly an internal scan again. If she has mc she has every right to let the process occur naturally if she prefers, without the tablet.

mummyneedinganswers Sun 26-Jul-15 16:44:12

No don't take the tablet insist on being rescanned in a week, I was 4 weeks pregnant had a ruptured cyst that made me bleed a bit. At nearly 5 weeks my hcg was only 270 and only showed a sac. 2 days later my hcg was only 410 mine were extremely low and they said it wasn't viable but I'm now 21 weeks with the same pregnancy, please ask them to be thorough before taking tablets as if I had just cotton rid when they said I wouldn't be pregnant now x

mummyneedinganswers Sun 26-Jul-15 16:44:48

Should have added that's my 5 week scan

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 26-Jul-15 16:54:31

There's no reason to rush into medical management unless she wants to. I would ask them to rescan in a week if nothing happens naturally and possibly the week after too as you may not see a HB at 6 ,weeks.
However she may find a two week wait too much.

sarkymare Sun 26-Jul-15 16:58:28

No it doesn't sound right. they absolutely should not be diagnosing a miscarriage with such little evidence.

Had her HCG levels decreased I would agree with the doctor as that very much indicates a MC but as it stands they haven't. Now I know they haven't doubled either which is what you would expect but the tests were not performed more than 48 hours apart and they have risen, albeit only a little.

I would ask to see a different doctor and get some more bloods done in a few days, preferably with a follow up scan in a week or so.

I've read about many women who have experienced similar, some with good outcomes and some not so I would advise your sister to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Wishing her the very best of luck flowers

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sun 26-Jul-15 20:19:38

Is she in the UK? I'm astonished that they told her they would do medical management even if miscarriage was confirmed. She's only 5 weeks. I was 9 and they insisted I wait for it to happen naturally.
She should be scanned in a week.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 26-Jul-15 20:36:16

What strange advice, never heard of this ever before. In a previous pregnancy my hcg hadn't doubled after tests at 5 weeks pregnant as I had cramping and I was told it was most likely a MC. I was told that as it was so early would just be like a normal period and would happen naturally which it did. I certainly wouldn't have taken anything at this stage (especially in her situation).
Fingers crossed for her flowers

AmiL123 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:57:39

contractor6 Sun 26-Jul-15 21:09:12

Go to a different hospital, I was 8 weeks and had lower hcg, but hospital where still very positive and amazing, I did lose it but would hate to think what if, if I had taken a pill shock

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sun 26-Jul-15 21:38:08

I would honesty suggest your sil seeks advice elsewhere if this what they are instantly jumping to. I'm in the Midlands, the hospital I used never suggested this when I was bleeding/only sac on scan. Even when sadly diagnosed as a non-viable pregnancy, they only kept an eye for a couple of weeks (made sure all had passed, I was physically OK), they wouldn't have 'medically managed' the situation unless they really needed to. Your Sil doesn't have to take anything right now.

AmiL123 Sat 01-Aug-15 11:35:19

Newtobecomingamum Sat 01-Aug-15 11:39:04

My god thank god she didn't take any tablets!!!
Thank goodness and fingers crossed everything still goes well for her.
Just goes to show to always get a second, third or even forth opinion and to ask people on here for advice!!
Best of luck x

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sat 01-Aug-15 13:08:00

What hospital were these? If you dont mind pming me or something. Am pin the Midlands! Glad everything worked out ok!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 01-Aug-15 13:41:36

They shouldn't have booked her in for medical management even if it was a loss.

AmiL123 Sat 01-Aug-15 13:46:37

sarkymare Sat 01-Aug-15 14:06:00

Wow! What a brilliant update! Thank you for letting us know. I've been thinking about her since you first posted.

Is the next step now making some sort of formal complaint? That's what I would do. The doctor was so keen to give your sister medical management with absolutely no evidence that it was needed, imagine how many other women he has done the same to?

I know doctors make mistakes they are only human but the way you have described it comes across as more -- he got his medical certificate from Amazon-- blatant negligence to me. The fact he booked her in for MM without a confirmed miscarriage AND at a stage in pregnancy where MM wouldn't be necessary even if it was is worrying, very worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now