Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tips for telling work

(7 Posts)
goldenhen Sat 25-Jul-15 14:27:51

I've just turned 16 weeks and I've decided next week will be a good time to tell work (a nice normal week, everyone's in the office, I've recently finished a few projects). I'm not really showing yet but I'm sure I could pop at any moment!

I'm a bit nervous because I haven't been there a full year yet and I feel like I'm still the new girl.

I got pregnant a bit earlier than planned (we previously tried for the whole of 2013 and nothing happened, then this time bam, 2nd month!) although we're super-happy about it.

I like my job, it's a small charity, majority female. I'm senior management and I like my boss. One of the other senior managers is currently on mat leave. We don't have an HR department as such. I would plan on taking around 6 months off. We only get SMP.

Does anyone have any tips on how best to break the news? Do I just say "have you got time for a quick catch up?" and go straight into it?

Sparky888 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:47:10

After telling my boss face to face, I wish I'd actually told him by email: just so that he could deal with his shock first, and then meet me! As he was shocked, his immediate reaction was quite focused on himself and the impact. He's a nice guy. But I guess it depends if you think you're boss would benefit from that 5mins alone.

Sparky888 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:47:46

*your

BrienneofQarth Sat 25-Jul-15 14:51:29

I was 3 weeks pregnant when I started my current job, and totally unaware. I ended up showing very early and noticed some curious glances so did as you suggested; I asked for a quick word then came out with it. They were shocked, no doubt about it! But I said to leave any discussions until later once they'd got their heads round it.

ARV1981 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:52:48

I told my boss first, just before the 12 week scan, but the rest of the team after the 12 week scan by showing them the picture. It was really easy and I got a good reception. My boss is a bit immature though and did make an inappropriate comment about me "ARV had SEX!" which I just rolled my eyes at because what can you say to that!?

LorryHen Sat 25-Jul-15 17:37:12

It really depends on what your boss is like I think.

When I started my job I was 7 weeks pregnant and had absolutely no idea. I told my boss at 20 weeks (wanted to make sure everything was fine at20 week scan).

They were lovely and told me not to worry about it at all.they understood that these things happen.

hannahbanananana Sat 25-Jul-15 17:48:22

I'm currently 15 weeks and told my boss last week. I've only been in the job 3 weeks and knew before I started so was absolutely dreading it but it went far better than I could have ever expected so don't worry. I'm sure you've been there long enough to have made a good impression. I just said 'can I have a quick chat?', then said 'there's something I've been wanting to talk to you about these past couple of weeks'. I later found out that he thought I was going to tell him I was leaving, so he was quite relieved when I said I'm 14 weeks pregnant. I then got a lovely letter which said that I shouldn't worry at all about the timing of my pregnancy and that I'm already a valued member of the team etc. and that they are looking forward to me returning. Definitely tell your boss away from everyone else. I'm sure they will all be completely supportive, sometimes these things happen unplanned, and after all it's just a job, family is more important than work and they will all feel exactly the same. I'm sure they will all be happy for you. Don't worry at all. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now