Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Self referral to see a midwife?

(6 Posts)
AThousandTears Sat 25-Jul-15 11:34:57

I am 8 weeks today. Last week I rang my doctors to see a midwife for a booking appointment (that's what I did with my DS) and was told I needed to come in for a self referral form.

So in I went, filled it in while I was there. Pretty general stuff that they have already as I am registered there. (Name, address, etc) as well as, am I taking folic acid, have I done a home test etc.

Handed this in and was told that a doctor has to look over it and refer me to a midwife!?

Now I may be wrong here, but surely all pregnant women need to see a midwife and do not need to be referred by a doctor? Also if I remember rightly the notes cover all possible medical conditions and family history so if a doctor was needed at that point they would know?

I'm slightly concerned that I still haven't got a booking appointment through, and at some point they will need to sort out a 12 week scan?

Does anyone have any experience with this system? Is there often a wait for a scan appointment? Do they have to fit it in at 12 weeks?

Frillsandspills Sat 25-Jul-15 13:19:12

I self referred using the hospital website, filled in a quick online form and had a phone call a few days later and had my appointment for the midwife at around 8 weeks.

Could you contact the hospital and self refer with them and explain you're worried about not having a booking appointment yet?

Sorry I'm not much help, seems a little strange to have things passed through a doctor as mine was really simple in comparison!

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

LostMySocks Sat 25-Jul-15 20:38:29

It depends on your health authority amd hospital. Different rules in different places.

BadgerFace Sun 26-Jul-15 07:15:59

I saw my doctor around 7/8 weeks who filled in a form to refer me to the local midwife unit. She told me to call the surgery to get them to chase it up if I'd not heard from the midwife within 7 days so perhaps chase your doctor if it's been a week since you went?

The booking in appointment (at 10 weeks) and 12 week scan appointment both came in the post on about day 6.

BadgerFace Sun 26-Jul-15 07:18:08

Just to add the scan and the booking in appointment are usually different places so you get two letters (at the same time in my case) so it's not that you have to have the booking in appointment before you'll get on the system to be given a 12 week scan date.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 26-Jul-15 09:32:14

I had to make an appointment with my GP for her to give me an appointment to see the midwife - it seemed like such a waste of her time. I got given the booking appointment there & then though & scan appointment came through about 10 days later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now