Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sertraline in pregnancy

(5 Posts)
Julied76 Sat 25-Jul-15 09:28:23

Hi I have just been put on sertraline 50mg yesterday and I'm 7 weeks pregnant, I am wondering if anyone on this site themselfs or know of anyone that has been on it during the whole of their pregnancy and had no problems with baby having side effects after birth or with defects due to taking it, I'm at a all time low and really need some reassurance, I had quite a difficult pregnancy with my last little girl due to Down's syndrome threat and then when she was born she was in intensive care after being effected by group b strep, I was on sertraline after she was born and weaned off them with help to fall pregnant again but it has become too much and the anxiety has become bad that I've not eaten for a week and I have no energy at all, any replies would be grateful

docmcstuffins1 Sat 25-Jul-15 11:05:50

I know a couple of people who have been on it through pregnancy with no problems what so ever. It is the lowest risk of all the antidepressant/anxiety medications that you can take during pregnancy, and the benefits of making you well again will certainly outweigh any risks. Hope you start feeling stronger again soon.xx

lilyb84 Sat 25-Jul-15 11:36:19

julie ditto what doc has said, I don't have personal experience but it's the lowest risk AD and when I've looked into it previously (having come off it myself earlier this year) everything points to it being safe during pg. Better that you're happy and supported throughout this pregnancy than worrying so try not to!

Embolio Sat 25-Jul-15 20:03:58

Julie I was on sertraline throughout my second pregnancy (50mg) with absolutely no problems. They'll hopefully get you back on an even keel and the benefit to your mental health outweighs any tiny risks. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info or to chat (I'm also 7 weeks pregnant, coincidentally).

Embolio Sat 25-Jul-15 20:06:26

Should have said DS had no withdrawal symptoms, but apparently if they do, breastfeeding helps because the tiny amount present in The bm helps wean them off if that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now