Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birthing plan... when?

(14 Posts)
rlt123 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:02:34

Hi ladies, I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should have discussed my birthing plan yet? If not, I'm assuming it's something I'll need to do soon. Thanks in advance.

ilovehotsauce Fri 24-Jul-15 22:09:02

Should be at your 36 week appointment if its your first.

Luciferbox Fri 24-Jul-15 22:12:00

I only filled mine in with my mw this week. I'm 39 wks.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:12:44

Discussed with who - your midwife, or with your DP (presuming they'll be at the birth with you)?

As far as I remember, it wasn't something I discussed with midwives much before the birth, as the midwives I saw for antenatal care weren't the ones who were going to be delivering DS anyway.

If you want to do a birth plan, then just make some notes, possibly in bullet points for ease, and make sure whoever is with you on the day knows the points that are especially important to you.

If it helps at all, after doing a detailed birth plan last time round, I won't be doing one at all this time, as I found it no use whatsoever!

GoooRooo Fri 24-Jul-15 22:14:15

I didn't discuss it at all first time and didn't have one.

I'm now 30 weeks and already written one - again no discussion with consultant or midwife. I am expecting one of them to ask me about it at next appointment as I am sure there are some things on there that they will push back on.

rlt123 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:17:18

Sorry should have mentioned with mw. I thought it was something that was encouraged but it appears to be a mixed bag. Have discussed with partner so he's aware anyway buy will ask mw at next appt.

tippytappywriter Fri 24-Jul-15 22:19:27

Running...second time round I didn't either!
Op...it is worth thinking through how you might react to certain choices. Wish I had known it wasn't a plan as such; it was more a preferred approach in an ideal situation. And good point about your partner knowing your wishes - essential!
Can you tell my first birth didn't go according to plan and my second was an undiagnosed bum first baby?

youlemming Fri 24-Jul-15 22:26:25

MW saw mine by chance as I had it in my notes and had a quick look but we didn't really discuss it as such.
Just make it very basic and open to changes.

imwithspud Fri 24-Jul-15 23:16:48

I wrote a birth plan with my first, a page long word document detailing everything, ended up being induced so it all went out the window anyway. I don't think the midwives even looked at it.

Second time round I didn't bother, my midwife asked me some brief questions about pain relief etc at one of my appointments which she wrote in my notes, but I didn't go to the effort of typing out a word document like I did first time round.

My advice would be that if you do decide to do one, keep it brief and don't go into too much detail and be open to change as you really never know how things will go when labour day comes.

Lunastarfish Sat 25-Jul-15 04:20:05

The NHS and NCT have good web pages for writing a birth plan. At my hospital it was discussed at 36 week appointment but the same situation for me, that midwife was not the one I had when I gave birth. Another midwife said to me to call it a 'wish list' rather than a plan as there is a good chance it can't be followed, for example in my case I really wanted delayed cord clamping but sadly it just want feasible on the day

icklekid Sat 25-Jul-15 04:27:01

Yep I filled in and printed this www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/birth-plan.aspx do it now so something to talk about at next mw if you want to talk about it /are unsure of anything

rlt123 Sat 25-Jul-15 04:57:13

Thanks ladies. Will make some notes to take to next appt then smile

avocadotoast Sat 25-Jul-15 05:20:32

Main things I found useful to include were pain relief, whether you want a water birth, what you want to do about delivering the placenta and cutting the cord, and whether baby is ok to have vitamin K injection.

Also look into things like episiotomies and how you feel about them. I glossed over that and ended up having one; I wish I'd looked into it more first.

But as pp have said be prepared that it might not happen to the letter. I wanted to deliver placenta naturally, delay cord clamping etc but because of episiotomy and blood loss wasn't able to. Things can change very quickly in the delivery room so make sure your birth partner is on the same page as you.

upthewolves Sat 25-Jul-15 05:43:36

I'm in Oz and haven't been asked about a birth plan, is it a formal process in the UK? I'm 38 weeks, saw the mw last Tuesday and she didn't even discuss the birth although I asked a few questions myself... is this normal??

I have written a basic birth plan for my own peace of mind really, and so DH knows what my preferences are so that he can speak up for me if I'm not able to articulate myself that well at the time.

Should I be worried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now