Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was your second pregnancy similar to your first?

(16 Posts)
Helgathehairy Fri 24-Jul-15 19:37:50

Just discovered I'm pregnant with no.2 (literally about 30 mins ago!).

I had a really easy pregnancy (shit birth though) and I'm wondering - hoping - that this one will be the same. First time round I had no sickness or any negative symptoms really except for heartburn towards the end.

So was your second pregnancy similar to your first?

LMonkey Fri 24-Jul-15 20:06:59

Congratulations!!

My second pregnancy was similar to my first, in the sense that I had no sickness with either, felt generally well, carried all out front (despite having boy and girl), no heartburn. Generally all good. The first one I felt more achey around the 16-20 week mark, when the ligaments are stretching. Didn't get that second time. BUT second time I felt a LOT more knackered towards the end as I had a 2 yr old (who happened to have hit the tantrum phase) to contend with, and I just physically did not have the strength to deal with him at times.

I think generally people have similar pregnancies (to their previous ones) although I do have a friend who had no sickness first time round then really bad sickness all the way through her second - and they were both boys! You can never tell.

But theoretically the birth should be better second time. At least you can address what went wrong the first time and try and prepare yourself and work something out.

Good luck!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Fri 24-Jul-15 20:11:56

First time the sickness stopped at 13 weeks. Second pregnancy I was sick until 30 weeks! However I had SPD with my first and not with my second. Labour also much easier second time round.
Both girls.

Helgathehairy Fri 24-Jul-15 20:16:12

First time I had an undiagnosed uti which kick started contractions (I was already a week overdue). Contractions stayed at 5 mins apart for 24 hours. Was induced and ended up ventouse delivery.

BifsWif Fri 24-Jul-15 20:29:37

My pregnancies were completely different, my second was awful but the labours were very similar.

Congratulations!!

RolyPolierThanThou Fri 24-Jul-15 20:36:32

It's almost always an easier birth second time around, with a lower risk off long labor and interventions.
My first labour was over 70 hours long and took syntocinon and forceps. My second was 7 hours and an easy water birth.

Pregnancies were different, too. Horrendous morning sickness with first, strong heartburn, rib flare and pelvic girdle pain at the sacrum.

Second pregnancy I had spd at the front, moderate sickness, moderate spd, no rib flare and less heartburn.

Third pregnancy Ive had mild sickness, mild spd but bad heartburn. Labour is as yet unknown.

bruffin Fri 24-Jul-15 20:36:46

DS had pre eclampsia and spent nearly 2 months in hospital. Birth was 2 days induction and 24 hour labour ended in theatre after failed ventuese but forceps worked so no need for emergency cs.

DD two years later a little more morning sickness and had an amnii as came up high for Downs. Thankfully that turned out ok. Went into labour at 37.2 and she was born 4 hours later.

measles64 Fri 24-Jul-15 20:40:17

First time round head down the loo from the start. Second time around my BIL said to me when walking behind me you are pregnant. What!! went to Docs. I was 16 weeks. He was an easy child and now a laid back man never a moment of worry. smile

Runningupthathill82 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:18:43

I'm only 14 weeks into my second, but it's completely different. First pregnancy was easy peasy. Was tired but barely physically sick at all.

This time round I threw up every day for 10 weeks, I'm huge much earlier on ( out of all clothes by 8 weeks!), I've had awful hip pain, I'm knackered, I can't get comfy at night...it's been much tougher, but now I'm hitting trimester two it's getting far easier than it was.

HazleNutt Sat 25-Jul-15 10:00:42

relatively similar, very easy pregnancies, worked and exercised til the end, no major complaints.
Was not nauseous with DC1, but was with DC2, and had heartburn in last trimester with DC1 but not DC2 - but that could be because I put way less weight on with the second.
Birth and breastfeeding with DC 2 miles easier.

ribbitTheFrog Sat 25-Jul-15 10:35:58

First pregnancy I had some morning sickness but it was much worse with dc2, maybe due to being more tired with work and a 3yo to contend with though.

I was much more,anxious with dc1, dc2 I kept forgetting I was pregnant (other than during the morning sickness phase!)

JillBYeats Sat 25-Jul-15 10:45:01

No, totally different, I "glowed" throughout my first - the second I had bad skin, bad hair, migraines, ugh! My children are totally different too and as babies were the opposite of each other:what worked with one didn't with the other and so on. My friend has 5 (!!) children and each pregnancy, birth and babyhood was different for her.

Allstoppedup Sat 25-Jul-15 10:51:45

I was horribly ill with my first, in hospital with HG and on anti emetics until 18 weeks. Then developed PUPPP rash all over and was itchy and miserable right up until I was induced at 42 weeks. TMI- I also had awful constipation from very early on and this gave me horrible back ache constantly. I was anxious, worried and generally felt awful the whole time.

I'm not sure about the later stages yet but I'm currently 30 weeks with number two and although I had sickness at the start it was nowhere near as bad as the first time round and had eased off massively by 11 weeks. I feel much more calm and relaxed about the birth (even knowing what's coming!) and although I've had the odd ache/pain that goes hand in hand with some pregnancies, I've generally felt much happier. Don't know if I'll go overdue this time but am definitely less worried about the prospect this time.

The only thing I've had in common with the two are low iron levels and a bit of heartburn.

Congratulations on your 2nd pregnancy! Hope it's as breezy as your first and you get a better birth experience. flowers

Roseybee10 Sat 25-Jul-15 12:55:32

Totally different pregnancy second time. Much easier, smaller bump and very easy labour. I was much more tired second time though.

Helgathehairy Sat 25-Jul-15 15:49:07

Fingers crossed I have the same kind is pregnancy! No sickness yet and I'm 5 weeks.

Jill no offence but I hope I'm not the same as you. I'm looking forward to great skin, lovely swishy hair on head and being able to stop shaving as all other hair growth stopped!

whatsoever Sat 25-Jul-15 23:47:21

Totally different. Much queasier and tireder and more bloated with this one. But had meralgia parasthetica with the first so had very limited mobility throughout.

Nausea is easing off a bit now (12w) so on balance i think I'd rather have this than excruciating leg pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now