Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Slightly' anaemic

(14 Posts)
chopsface Fri 24-Jul-15 15:14:04

Hi ladies. Im currently 19 weeks pregnant. I went to the GP last week complaining of breathlessness, I know this is normal in pregnancy but I felt I was over breathless. I had a blood test and got the results yesterday, by text, from the surgery. They said I was 'slightly' anaemic and to get a prescription from reception for iron tablets. Someone told me that they shouldn't test during the 2nd trimester as every pregnant women would come back as being 'slightly' anaemic. I'm kind of reluctant to take iron if I don't really need to as I've heard if bad side affects such as constipation and nausea. I have enough if those as it is! Any advice?

Oh if anyone is medical, my hb is 109 x

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 24-Jul-15 15:20:50

I was anaemic last pregnancy and am again this one - currently at 109 same as you. In my experience it gets worse as pregnancy progresses as it puts more strain on your body and that's what I've been told by doctor too. I'm quite happy to be taking it as I was borderline last pg and didn't take it but by the third trimester I was completely wiped out and struggling.
If you want to use the birth centre your iron has to be OK or you won't qualify so that's something to consider also.

33goingon64 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:24:04

Same here. I just took one tablet every other day and ate a lot of steak, lamb chops and spinach. One a day did make me constipated.

Mulligrubs Fri 24-Jul-15 15:25:53

I got iron tablets at 18 weeks, not all pregnant women show as slightly anaemic at this stage, no. It is important to treat it as it can get worse during your pregnancy and if during birth you have PPH it is harder to recover from if your iron is already low.

Been on my tablets 4 weeks, have had no side effects at all but if you do get side affects your Dr can prescribe a liquid supplement rather than tablets.

bookgirl1982 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:27:46

My mum recommended spatone water (from Holland and Barrett) rather than iron tablets. Apparently this has fewer side effects and you can add it to orange juice to reduce the taste. Might be worth looking into if you are 'borderline' at this stage.

LeChien Fri 24-Jul-15 15:27:53

I had this during my last pregnancy, spatone is your friend.
One or two a day in orange juice make a huge difference.

chopsface Fri 24-Jul-15 16:43:03

Thanks ladies, I'll pick up my prescription on the way home :-)

ShootTheMoon Fri 24-Jul-15 16:53:11

I am anaemic, at 32 weeks now. My levels were 111/10.4 at 28 weeks and I started taking spatone then Spatone and Pregnacare. Now at 32 weeks I have been retested at 101/7.4 so I have got much worse. Spatone may be much less horrible than iron tablets but it may not be sufficient to correct an actual deficit. Do take the tablets!

And try to eat an iron rich diet if possible, plus make sure you don't have lots of milk (calcium) or tea (tannins) when you take your tablet as they inhibit iron absorption.

Big sympathies on the breathlessness! I also had a raw/sore tongue, pica, restless legs and exhaustion. Anaemia is a barrel of laughs!

sophiaslullaby Fri 24-Jul-15 17:52:15

I was told at and earlier midwife appointment (roughly 16weeks) that my iron levels were low. Midwife advised taking Floradix -i've taken it before when i had heavy periods and feeling so letherfic. They really work for me.
I take 1 tablet twice a day with food. Can get them at Holland & Barrett or order in at most pharmacies.

chopsface Fri 24-Jul-15 18:35:09

Just been reading the leaflet inside the supplement box. It says about not taking them within 2 hours of milk, tea/coffee and wholegrain. What am I to do about breakfast?! I have a bowl of porridge with a decaf coffee every morning at around 7 when I get up for work. I need to take the tablets 3 times a day.

CalypsoLilt Fri 24-Jul-15 21:11:57

Floravital is liquid iron and B vitamins and won't make you constipated smile

acquiescence Fri 24-Jul-15 23:33:17

I would recommend asking your GP to prescribe iron syrup rather than the tablets. I was mildly anaemic but very symptomatic with breathlessness and fast pulse and it has made such a difference and absolutely no side effects. I take about half the recommended dose daily and also one or two spatone sachets and floradix, another natural iron supplement.

Megan220715 Sat 25-Jul-15 00:05:24

I was found to be severly enemic at 38 weeks they put me on iron tablets and it made me so sick but I found if I drank a glass of full fat milk with the tablet it reduced all the side effects. I was on three iron tablets a day

UpUpAndAway123 Sat 25-Jul-15 08:44:51

If they tested every woman then many may be slightly anaemic, however as you are symptomatic then you need the extra iron. Take with fresh orange juice as vit c helps with absorption x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now