Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am being ridiculous, someone snap me out of it!

(11 Posts)
polexiaaphrodesia Fri 24-Jul-15 14:51:20

Hi everyone,
I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first and am a total nervous wreck at the moment - convinced that every second I am about to miscarry. I can't stop googling every tiny symptom and have changed from being a relatively calm, rational person into a complete lunatic.

I am having a really tough time at work at the moment with loads of stress and team bitchiness and today ended up in tears (I have never cried at work before!) and told my boss that I was pregnant. I now feel like a complete idiot as I wanted to wait until after the 12 weeks scan to tell work but my emotions and the situation completely different got the better of me.

I had some brownish discharge on Wednesday evening while abroad on a business trip and I think that's what's pushed me over the edge. I feel really alone and worried about everything and really need to be handed a bit of a grip. Please can someone reassure me that I am a tiny bit less of a horrible idiot than I think I am!

batfish Fri 24-Jul-15 15:27:17

Hi and congratulations! I was exactly the same - despite no bad history (although my best friend had 3 mcs so I must have had her anxiety) I was a wreck and completely convinced things would go wrong, I could barely even talk about the pregnancy until a scan at 9 weeks despite having an early scan at 6 weeks where we had a heartbeat! I had even rehearsed in my head how I would react to the bad news that I was sure I would be given at my 9 week scan, it was horrible. The early scans were great but still didn't really reassure me, at least not for more than about an hour! However I am sitting here now at almost 30 weeks pregnant feeling my baby kicking away so all is good and I'm sure it will be for you too! It is so so stressful when you're so worried and the early weeks are just awful, I wish I had been able to enjoy the excitement but I spoiled it with all the worry. Good luck!

Nolim Fri 24-Jul-15 15:28:59

Congrats.
Chill out.

WishUponAStar88 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:31:12

You are not an idiot the first couple of months of pregnancy are incredibly stressful and emotional with hormones all over the place. I paid for a private scan at around 7weeks as I'd seen that the rate of miscarriage once a heartbeat has been confirmed is low. Obviously doesn't mean that nothing will happen but it made me more relaxed. flowers for you and congratulations!

jusdepamplemousse Fri 24-Jul-15 15:31:42

You are not horrible and you are not an idiot. Not at all at all at all. Early pregnancy can be super stressful and it sounds like your work is a bit of a nightmare at the mo. I'm sure that is not helping. Telling your boss might've been the right thing to do if it means there's a chance he/she will try to alleviate work pressure for you slightly? A little bit of brown discharge on it's own is almost certainly nothing to worry about but I know it's nerve wracking. A private viability scan in a week or so could put your mind at ease, if that's an option.

Can you take a step back and relax over the weekend?

Finally - congratulations on your pregnancy! smile

polexiaaphrodesia Fri 24-Jul-15 16:25:15

Thank you all so much for your kind messages.
I think most of my worrying actually comes from being so stressed at work at the moment so I think letting my boss know might have been a good idea but maybe not the ideal moment!
I think I will book in for a scan in a couple of weeks and try to relax this weekend although I am definitely missing a nice glass of wine!

camembertlovernomore Fri 24-Jul-15 16:33:11

I could have written your post OP! I am only 4 or 5 weeks gone and is my first pregnancy and convinced I am going to miscarry at any point. But I am just trying to focus on what I can control - eating well, rest, lots of water and gentle exercise beyond that I have no control - I think that's probably the root of the issues for me - lack of control and not knowing. That and the fact that so many of my friends have had multiple miscarriages makes me think I am bound to have one too. Sorry for waffling on just wanted to say you're not alone flowers I am turning into a loon too! grin

SECoad Fri 24-Jul-15 23:06:23

Thank you so much for posting this discussion. I am 11 wks and scan is next week (my first). But tonight the worry and stress has really got too my resulting in lots of tears and yet another early night. Not helped by fact hubby is enjoying wine at a friends! Ggrrrr...
So glad to know there are others out there that are worried too. Such a shame the worry is overshadowing the excitement of this amazing time! : ( xx

AmiL123 Sat 25-Jul-15 10:17:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Doublebubblebubble Sat 25-Jul-15 12:31:40

I'm 29 weeks and I still check after every wipe lol as others have said - I could have written your post - this is a very very nerve wracking time it does get easier when you get into the swing of things a bit more. Its all sooo new. I wish you the very best of luck x

Gillian1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:29:29

Congratulations!

It is entirely normal to feel anxious and worried but as long as you keep reminding yourself to stay calm that's all you can do.

I'm 36+2 and still check after every wipe! And I fret and worry over the most minor things - I just can't help it. But I just have to keep giving myself a talking to and try to be more rational.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now