Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paternity pay

(5 Posts)
ThreeBeanRap Fri 24-Jul-15 11:25:02

DH started a new job at the beginning of March, which I think means he misses the 'qualifying week' for paternity pay by one week (I am due end of Nov).

Will this mean he would have to take unpaid leave if he wanted any time off does anyone know? He works for quite a big organisation who have been lovely about him having time off for scans etc but not sure what they'll do about paternity.

Whatabout Fri 24-Jul-15 11:29:46

It's only £139 a week, so not much more than unpaid anyway, so annual leave might be a better option? To qualify it's working 26 weeks by the end of 15th week before baby is due. His employer might offer him something anyway, my DH will be topped up to full pay for his two weeks so worth asking.

crazypuglady Fri 24-Jul-15 11:39:53

It's worth him speaking to them. My DH has accepted a new job and could start 2 weeks before I'm due. He said he'd rather wait until after his paternity as he would miss out on paternity pay and they have offered to match what his current company would pay him if he starts ASAP. It depends entirely on the company.

knittingirl Fri 24-Jul-15 11:42:15

He could take annual leave, or he could ask for unpaid leave. At the company's discretion they may be willing to give him some additional paid time off if he asked, and dependent on what their policies are, but that's totally up to them.

ThreeBeanRap Fri 24-Jul-15 11:43:06

Yes I hadn't realised it was so little (statutory) til I looked at it today. Don't think we could afford for him to take 2 weeks at that rate anyway. At least it will be just before Christmas and he will be off for that at least.

I'll get him to chat to his boss, fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now