Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scan at 7 weeks-internal or external??

(13 Posts)
beehappybe Thu 23-Jul-15 14:48:17

hi all, I have had a scan at (they estimated) 5 weeks which was done internally.
I have one tomorrow which is presumably 7 weeks. Will this be also done internally or over the belly from the outside?

I tried calling them to ask but the line is constantly busy. I want to know as if I have to drink a lot of water (for the external) I better bring my special pregnancy "cocktail" in a thermos flask (lots of ice, cordial, half flat-half fizzy water) as drinking a pint of flat room temperature water would make me puke for sure...
Thanks!

mrsnec Thu 23-Jul-15 14:59:42

I'm not in the UK but have had both at that stage before.

In my experience I didn't get any warning I was having an internal they just did it there and then because they didn't see what they should externally.

Since then it's in the back of my head that I'll get an external whenever they feel the need.

I've never been told about drinking beforehand but because my appointments take ages I always take the beverage of choice with me.

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 23-Jul-15 15:02:42

I had one at 6 weeks and it was the one on the belly

BlueKarou Thu 23-Jul-15 15:02:47

My scan at 7+5 was an internal one.

misssmilla1 Thu 23-Jul-15 15:03:24

They'll probably start with an external; if they can't see anything properly and are looking they will probably move to internal. It happened to me about 7.5 weeks.

I don't remember drinking making a difference tbh.

bestguess23 Thu 23-Jul-15 15:05:57

If they can do it external they will but you will need a very full bladder for it to be a success. If your bladder isn't full or you have a retroverted uterus they will have to do an internal.

beehappybe Thu 23-Jul-15 15:11:00

thanks for replies, I guess I will bring the thermos just in case.

TitusAndromedon Thu 23-Jul-15 15:33:41

I had a scan at six weeks. I went with a full bladder and they had a go at an external scan, but decided it needed to be internal. They asked me to empty my bladder before the internal scan. It's best to be prepared for both scenarios.

ChicaMomma Thu 23-Jul-15 15:39:25

They will try external first- if they cant pick up a heartbeat then they'll go internal. My 7 week was external. So it will depend. Best of luck!

sianihedgehog Thu 23-Jul-15 21:04:26

They tried external, then sent me for a wee and then did an internal for me.

Junosmum Thu 23-Jul-15 23:40:41

They tried external for me at 6+6 but couldn't see more than the sac so they let me go pee and then did an internal and there was my jelly bean.

MummyBexta Fri 24-Jul-15 09:24:00

I had one at 6 and 8 weeks - both internal

Doublebubblebubble Fri 24-Jul-15 10:00:22

I've had both an internal (x1) and external (x2) scan at 7 weeks but the reason for both scans were different... I had an internal at 7+4 when I had some spotting after an injury (did my back in) and it turned out I was pregnant with twins. (They were stillborn). Then I had 2 external reassurance scans for concurrent pregnancies (1 ended in miscarriage and the other is my current -29 weeks whoop - pregnancy) hope all is okay x good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now