Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

EPU Scan - really confused about dates, can anyone help?

(4 Posts)
LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 23-Jul-15 11:50:18

Hi, I am totally confused. My last period was around 5th June and I got a positive pregnancy test on 5th July.

Last week, thinking I was 6 weeks pregnant, I had a scan for various reasons. Only an 8mm sac was seen and nothing else. So, I gather it's a likely blighted ovum and arrange another scan a week later to confirm/ decide what to do if miscarriage has not started naturally.

Today I have the re-scan and am told there is an embryo present with a heart beat, and they dated me at 5 weeks 3 days pregnant.

However, before I can get tentatively happy about this - I need to get my head round how I could be 5 + 3 days pregnant by ultrasound and 7w on dates. Because by my reckoning this would mean getting a positive pregnancy test one day BEFORE implantation confused

I feel like I'm being a kill joy by stopping myself being pleased about the scan result today but I genuinely don't understand, and it looks to me as if there is something wrong - surely the embryo is far behind where it should be and possibly therefore not very viable?

If anyone could throw any light on it I'd be very grateful!

scarednoob Thu 23-Jul-15 12:20:57

oh how confusing and stressful. I think the fact that you saw a heartbeat is a great sign, and the dates can be a few days out if: you ovulated late; it took a couple of days to implant; the sonographer is even a mm out on the measurements.

I went at 8 weeks to be told I was measuring 6 weeks and it was 50/50. I was told to go a week later to see if there had been growth. then I had a tiny bleed 4 days later (apparently quite common with a dildocam in case you get that particular pleasure too) and it was measuring 6+4. now 29 weeks.

fingers crossed for the little bean and hope you manage to stay sane waiting for the next scan.

LittleMouseontheDairy Thu 23-Jul-15 12:50:29

Thank you scarednoob!

I guess I just feel a bit all over the place - from thinking it was a blighted ovum to being told there was an embryo with a heart beat. But then realising the dates didn't fit....

I guess all I can do is take it day by day and keep my fingers crossed. It's a shame not to feel positive or excited though, and I feel a bit bad that DH is going to come home thinking I am pleased but finding me a bit flat and confused.

I'm glad your early scans turned out well and thank you for the heads up re the poss dildocam bleed flowers

sianihedgehog Thu 23-Jul-15 17:57:25

The measurements aren't very accurate at all so early. I had dates from early scans vary by nearly 2 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now