Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chelsea & Westminster or Queen Charlotte for first time mum

(17 Posts)
camembertlovernomore Wed 22-Jul-15 13:40:44

I have been told I need to self refer to either of these 2 hospitals and I have no clue which to pick - online they seem ok but how do you make a choice? They don't do tours so do I just pick a name out of the hat?! Any guidance or experience would really help me out TIA smile

icclemunchy Wed 22-Jul-15 13:50:22

No experience of either of those two (we went to St Mary's in Paddington) but just wanted to say you don't have to choose just from those two you can go to any hospital you like (we're in Greenford so St Mary's is far from local to us)

camembertlovernomore Wed 22-Jul-15 14:09:30

ah ok great thank you I didn't realise I could choose any hospital - right will have a google now! Thanks

tots123 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:31:21

Chelsea. My friend is a doctor who has worked on labour wards around London and she says her top choices are 1) Chelsea and 2) St Thomas'.

Chelsea will look after you really well, it's the best in London.

tots123 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:32:20

Just to add i'm going to st thomas but that's only because it is nearer than Chelsea for me. It's still over an hour from where i live though! eek!

scarednoob Wed 22-Jul-15 15:04:16

I picked Chelsea. overall very happy with the medical care; the midwives and sonographers are great and the hospital is nice and modern. the admin is pretty appalling though, and incredibly difficult to get through on the phone. I think they are just too busy. (but I suspect you'll find that everywhere, at least until the government finally realises what is a priority and gives them proper funding...!)

plus the shop has "made in Chelsea" babygros, I mean, how could you resist?!?

LovelyFriend Wed 22-Jul-15 15:19:33

I had 2 DC at Queen Charlottes.
DD1 in birth centre - really wonderful experience.
DD2 much faster in delivery suite - OK experience.

I'd pick the one that is the easier for you to get to for check ups etc.

superram Wed 22-Jul-15 15:21:13

Chelsea is a pain if you need to park I had fine experiences at qc and medical care was excellent.

staverton Wed 22-Jul-15 15:23:48

Great experience at Charlotte's!

LovelyFriend Wed 22-Jul-15 15:24:29

You can lie in your bed at QC and watch people try and throw care packages over the wall over Wormwood Scrubs prison next door.

scarednoob Wed 22-Jul-15 15:27:05

how funny superram - I am so dense I JUST discovered the carpark underneath Chelsea, which has always been half empty (famous last words) - I'd been getting taxis there and walking back!

StonedGalah Wed 22-Jul-15 15:30:18

I had a terrible experience at QC. I could never recommend there. Go anywhere else!

LovelyFriend Wed 22-Jul-15 15:30:21

I use C&W a bit as it has pediatric A&E, and yes there is a paying carpark underneath. I've always got a park there though the spaces are very tight.

It was in the congestion charge zone for while which was a PIA to have to pay £8 to get a small child to A&E! But they have stopped that madness now.

Satura Wed 22-Jul-15 17:23:46

I had my daughter at the birth centre in Queen Charlotte's three years ago, not sure what the maternity ward/birth suite bit itself is like there but the birth centre was absolutely lovely, I felt really well looked after and the staff we really good - supportive enough to help when needed but not so much that it felt intrusive after she was born.

I had actually hoped to make it to C&W for her birth (just because as a hospital it just seemed nicer) but QC&C is nearer to me and my daughter was in a rush to make an appearance so we ended up there instead. smile

Satura Wed 22-Jul-15 17:27:36

Also, forgot to mention that I think you do get a tour a bit later (not sure how far along you are?), we had a tour around 30 weeks I think, and if you don't like it I'm fairly sure they let you request a different hospital as long as there's still time to transfer your notes etc x

camembertlovernomore Thu 23-Jul-15 13:21:31

wow didn't realise all the posts! thank you all for your help I am literally just pregnant 4wks gone! So plenty of time to make the decision thank you all xx

Boosiehs Thu 23-Jul-15 13:25:12

Only prob with QC so far (13 weeks) is that the waiting time for ALL appointments is massive! don't anticipate anything taking less than 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now