Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question - swollen ankles

(10 Posts)
quesadillas Wed 22-Jul-15 09:03:20

Hi,

Pregnant for the second time and getting really bad swollen ankles. I didn't have this last time. It's normal though isn't it? One feels more swollen than the other. I'm thinking it might be the heat - I was pregnant in winter last time. Any tips on getting them down a bit.

Thanks!

cookielove Wed 22-Jul-15 09:11:09

If one gets hugely bigger than the other then consult your midwife, for now keep them up as much as possible!

Turtletea Wed 22-Jul-15 09:18:19

How many weeks are you?

quesadillas Wed 22-Jul-15 09:23:53

29 with twins. It just started a couple of days ago, and I have done a lot of walking in the heat, so thought it might be that. One is a bit more swollen than the other, like it's not really gone down overnight, whereas the other one is back to normal. Blood pressure generally ok, so really hoping it isn't pre-eclampsia.

I'm actually seeing my gp today for something unrelated, so I'll run it past them.

Turtletea Wed 22-Jul-15 09:28:22

You need to get your bp checked today, and urine.

scatterbrainedlass Wed 22-Jul-15 09:39:39

Rest, put your feet up, stay hydrated. Mine got a bit swollen when we had a hot spell a few weeks ago, plus I was on my feet all day which didn't help.

If one is much worse than the other, or there is pain or redness, it could be an indication of a blood clot. It they swell up to extreme proportions very quickly, and you lose some flexibility in your ankles and feet, it could be a sign of pre-eclampsia. If you are all worried, speak to your MW.

Autumn2014 Wed 22-Jul-15 09:44:34

Ask specifically for your bp to be checked and take a urine sample and ask for it to dipped. Don't just mention it casually, and don't leave without the gp or practice nurse telling you the results. Take your notes too so they see what your normal baseline measurements are. I speak from experience...

scarednoob Wed 22-Jul-15 09:47:07

I think it's normal for them to swell by the end of the day, especially in the heat, but if they aren't going down by the morning, or if you have one bigger than the other, definitely check with your doctor. hopefully it's absolutely nothing!

Turtletea Wed 22-Jul-15 10:19:04

I agree. Don't fuck about with pre-eclampsia, iirc you are higher risk of it with twins.

quesadillas Wed 22-Jul-15 11:47:59

Thanks for all the replies. BP fine. Been told to elevate feet and it should improve and keep an eye out for any swelling that could be described as alarming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now