Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think miscarriage #2 is about to start and I'm about to go on Holiday

(19 Posts)
Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 21-Jul-15 20:07:14

Hi ladies

Not sure why I'm writing this, maybe hoping someone could offer a glimmer of hope and/or practical advice would be good if my worst fears are realised....

I had a MMC in April this year, I found out at 9 weeks after some cramping and spotting that baby had died at 7 weeks. I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant. To be honest I never felt great about this pregnancy due to the regular cramping and relatively frequent but tiny bits of red and pink spotting since about 3 weeks. I've been to the GP a couple of times (the last time 6 days ago) but been told it's too early for referral to EPU.

Today I've been having persistent stomach cramps and also, for the first time this pregnancy, pain in my lower back and lots of discharge that's a pink/brown colour (sorry if TMI). My instinct tells me my body is gearing up for a miscarriage. On the plus side if there is one, I do have definite pregnancy symptoms, boobs have grown and are tender and I feel slightly nauseous.

We are meant to be going on holiday on Thursday. I guess I am wondering whether to go again to gp tomorrow and also wondering what to do if I am in this state still or if I am actively bleeding come Thursday morning. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or advice...

AbiBranning Tue 21-Jul-15 20:14:32

are you going abroad or staying in UK?

justkeeponsmiling Tue 21-Jul-15 20:17:28

Hi Ahhh So sorry you went through this horrible experience last april flowers
I work in an EPU. I would say DEFINITELY go back to GP tomorrow and insist on a referal! I think it's bad he hasn't referred yet. Has he at least taken swabs etc to make sure you haven't got an infection?
At 6 weeks they may well be able to get some info from the scan.
Are you planning on going on hols in the uk? And who are you planning on going with?

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 21-Jul-15 20:25:39

Thanks a lot for the replies. It is a UK holiday yes, 2 days at a theme park with my kids and husband, then a cottage for a week with our family and another family on the south coast. GP didn't take swabs, he just felt my stomach and said it was reassuring I felt no pain when he pressed on my stomach in various places!

MrsExcited Tue 21-Jul-15 20:28:08

Could you find a private reassurance scan tomorrow 6.5 weeks theres a good chance of a heartbeat.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 21-Jul-15 20:34:34

MrsExcited, thanks for your message, I have contemplated that but think it would be horrible if I got an inconclusive result just before going away. Also I gather there is still a relatively high change of miscarriage at 6 weeks even if a heartbeat was found so it would be even more devastating for us if that happened.

Justkeep, thanks to you too. Do you know how long you have to wait between GP referral and being seen by EPU?

justkeeponsmiling Tue 21-Jul-15 20:40:38

You shouldn't need a private scan. GP should refer you and you should get a scan at your local EPU tomorrow. I know not all hospitals are the same but it's what our EPU would do.
We also do swabs first, even before a scan. Really surprised your GP didn't do then!
If I were you I would go to GP tomorrow and insist on a referal. Tell your EPU drs you are planning on going on holiday. If nothing changes for the worse (fingers crossed!!) and your scan is inconclusive or you don't get a scan tomorrow your EPU should be able to give you a letter of referal or refer you directly to the hospital near to where you are staying should you need admitting during your hols.
If I were you I would still go providing nothing changes for the worse BUT I would prepare myself for an emergency admission JUST IN CASE.
But that's me.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you x

justkeeponsmiling Tue 21-Jul-15 20:43:28

In our area you get seen the same day and if possible get a scan the same day too. Go and see your GP first thing in the morning so hopefully things will move as fast as possible for you.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 21-Jul-15 20:44:06

Thanks so much for the advice. Will give that a go 2moro

CakeInMyFace Tue 21-Jul-15 22:10:43

Do you need a gp referral? Where I live you just turn up at epu by 830am and wait to be seen on a first come first basis. No referral needed

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 21-Jul-15 22:13:31

Thanks cake, I have checked online and its gp or midwife referral for all 3 hospitals vaguely near me. Lucky you sounds easier where you are...

MummyPiggy87 Wed 22-Jul-15 09:18:02

I was in the same situation, I went to Devon and was really unwell and had stomach cramps, I had ds looked after and me and dh went down the local hospital and got seen straight away and had a scan done. I was 7 weeks and could clearly see the heartbeat. Your GP just sounds rubbish. Good luck I'm sure everything will be fine. I had exactly what you just described with the brown/pink, and a couple of times pink blood, cramps etc. Im now 22 weeks so clearly it was just uterus and stretching like the doctor said is common.x thanks

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Wed 22-Jul-15 10:09:13

Thanks mummy pig nice to hear a positive story, I'm hoping for best but preparing for worst. I've just seen another GP, he's just sorting the EPU referral now but agreed its most likely I am miscarrying.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 22-Jul-15 10:15:52

Good to get the referral. I would go on the holiday but be prepared in case of problems.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Wed 22-Jul-15 12:15:13

Wow I am reeling, just had scan at EPU which showed baby measuring 6+6 and heart beating away. I know I am not out of the woods yet but much better scan result than I was expecting. Thanks everyone for your support and advice

missybct Wed 22-Jul-15 12:17:33

Way to go! That's awesome grin

zippyswife Wed 22-Jul-15 14:26:25

Oh that's great news!! Enjoy your holiday! X

MummyPiggy87 Wed 22-Jul-15 15:34:20

Ahh yay great news!! It's worrying isn't it. You'll be fine! It happened to me at around 7 weeks then 9 weeks then 12 ish week. Each time I panicked as much as they first it's just natural. I bet it's a she, this happened to my sister who had a girl and my friend who had a girl, and me having a girl wink

Floggingmolly Wed 22-Jul-15 15:38:15

Oh, that's brilliant smile Enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now