Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time pregnant, 7 weeks, off on holiday, moving house - when to book an apmt?

(12 Posts)
cammybear Tue 21-Jul-15 06:57:22

Hello!

I am about 7 weeks into my pregnancy and we are moving house during August. Before then, we are off on holiday for 2 weeks (which will be roughly weeks 10 and 11, if my calculations aren't wildly out). I know I am supposed to go the GP at some point around then, and have a scan at 12 weeks. The problem is, not having moved yet, I am not registered with a GP in our new town (and we are moving quite some distance away). Can anyone tell me what I should do? Should I just wait until I come back from holiday, knowing I'll be around 12 weeks and get looked at then? If I manage to take a day off work, sign up with a GP and get an appointment before then, I'm concerned that it will be a waste of time as do they do all that much at 8 weeks anyway? I work in London and could self-refer at UCLH but then if I'm not going to give birth there in the end, is that allowed?

I realise of course that I sound completely clueless and probably not fit to be growing this little life inside me...

louisejxxx Tue 21-Jul-15 07:04:21

I would ring your current gp and ask for advice. Not having a gp appointment until 10 weeks will mean that hospital and midwives aren't notified until at least then and it may prove tricky to get a scan until a couple of weeks after you should really be having one.
I'm not sure about in London, but in my area a midwife comes out to do a booking in visit at 8 weeks and give you your green pregnancy notes.

applecore0317 Tue 21-Jul-15 07:26:00

If you leave it too late then you might end up havinf your first scan too late, which means they may not bw able to screen for downs if that is something you want them to check.

I would speak with a GP in your new area and ask if you can register over the phone for now. Every area is different, at mine the midwives are based at my local doctors surgery whereas in other areas the doctor refers to a midwife team at the local hospital and in others you self refer.

cammybear Tue 21-Jul-15 18:37:39

Thank you! OK, I will ring a GP in our new area. I'm not signed on at a GP where I live now (I get emergency GP service through my work that's private and have never needed anything else, but I can't use them for ante-natal).

Thank you everyone. Does the dr need to see me before I'm seen for the scan? I really have no idea how it works...

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 21-Jul-15 19:10:58

Can you self refer to the hospital in your new area? As others have said it's important you get the first scan on time and blood tests, if you want them. My hospital let me self refer - so no gp appointment needed - but they are all different.
You can go to your local hospital then move later in pregnancy, but you'd need to do the booking in appointment again. And if you do this take copies of your notes. I have no idea why but getting one hospital to give notes to another seems to be complicated in my experience

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 21-Jul-15 19:13:33

And although the 8 week booking in appointment is somewhat boring / form filling they do go through you and your partners medical history and do various blood tests for various disorders, blood group, immunity to certain diseases etc (although I guess they could do these later), so personally I'd go to it if you can.

cammybear Tue 21-Jul-15 19:18:27

I just phoned the doctors and the receptionist (who said she didn't know much because she had never been pregnant herself) told me that the first scan wouldn't be until 16 weeks. That seems much later than I have heard and read...?! I am really confused now.

justabigdisco Tue 21-Jul-15 19:22:18

Receptionist is wrong, first scan is around 12 weeks and you need to have seen a midwife by then. Ring them again tomorrow!

CarShare Tue 21-Jul-15 19:50:23

Our local hospital lost our referral (three times!) so I ended up having a late booking apt with the midwife at least six weeks after I'd first told the GP. I'd factor in cock-up time if you want to have the tests offered at the right times- particularly 12 weeks scan as Apple says

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 21-Jul-15 19:50:53

16 weeks is too late if you want the tests done and accurate dating. It's usually 12 weeks, but 11-14 weeks is OK (although 14 can be too late if you are further along than you think you are).
Have a look on the NHS website at what the standard appointments are

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 21-Jul-15 19:53:28

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/antenatal-appointment-schedule.aspx

cammybear Tue 21-Jul-15 20:14:58

Thanks everyone - I was sure that 12 weeks was right! The receptionist just said that she asked the doctor too and s/he also said 16 weeks, but that I was 'entitled to a second opinion'...hmm... She said that I would have to come up for a day to register, go back, and then come up for an appointment with the midwife, which is going to be a bit tricky. Now I am thinking that I will just go to UCLH at the start (you can self-refer there) and then switch over during the pregnancy... Oh man, such a minefield! And this is the easy part of the process!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now