Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI, can I take antibiotics?

(17 Posts)
HappyGirl86 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:29:01

Hi Everyone,
I've had some possible UTI symptoms; needing to pee and then not being able to go, and also pee being very slow. I went to my doctor and be tested my pee and suggested I take nitrofurantoin for 3 days. I was just looking at the info leaflet and it says consult a doctor if pregnant. My doctor knows I'm pregnant but now I'm worried he made a mistake. He was looking in a book for assistance. Has anyone taken this before? Looking for some re-assurance!
I wonder if I would be better drinking lots of water and cranberry juice maybe?
Thanks in advance!

SaulGood Mon 20-Jul-15 19:31:52

If you have a confirmed uti you need to take ABs as UTIs can cause premature labour. Not sure about that antibiotic as I've never used it but have used others in pregnancy.

loolah83 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:32:06

Yes. You can. Your doctor was looking in the book to make sure he picked an effective one that was suitable for pregnant ladies.

All medications state that you consult a doctor if you are pregnant...but your doctor prescribed it- consultation box ticked.

mygreeneyedboy Mon 20-Jul-15 19:32:16

generally antibiotics are safe! He would have picked one especially for you. All medication say to consult Dr of pregnant - even paracetamol !! No need to worry - I've been on lots of antibiotics whilst pregnant with DS (now 18mo)

whatlifestylechoice Mon 20-Jul-15 19:53:12

Argh, I was just coming to post about this. I have the same urge to pee all the time since this afternoon, and then no pee happens. Woe is me!
I'm only 5+2. Is there any way to head this off at the pass or do I definitely need ABs?

whatlifestylechoice Mon 20-Jul-15 19:54:31

And woe is you too, happy. Sorry, forgot the sympathy to a fellow sufferer in my distress. blush

melonface Mon 20-Jul-15 19:59:04

I had a UTI 3 weeks ago (when I was 10 weeks) and was prescribed the same by my GP. You will be fine!

FishWithABicycle Mon 20-Jul-15 20:00:53

It's important to get treatment ASAP if pregnant and experiencing UTI symptoms. Getting a course of antibiotics that are safe for pregnancy prescribed can be safer than some over-the-counter remedied when you have a very small person inside you.

OreosOreosOreos Mon 20-Jul-15 20:05:22

Nitrofurantonin is fine to take whilst pregnant.

I used to have to take a low dose AB as a preventative for recurrent UTIs, and when we started TTC the Dr swapped me off trimethoprim onto the nitro. (They did however make me feel so sick I couldn't DTD, which was a bit pointless confused grin)

Frillsandspills Mon 20-Jul-15 20:14:00

I had a UTI two weeks ago at 16 weeks, I took the ABs oreos just said (I'm not going to attempt to spell it again). Prescribed by my GP

HappyGirl86 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:32:24

Thanks everyone! I think I'm probably just over worrying.
I've not had any pain or burning when I pee but things don't feel quite right

UrethraFranklin1 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:36:30

Youre concerned because the leaflet says consult a dr even though a dr gave it to you? Unless you accidentally went to a vet or something youre being a bit silly. Also ignoring a drs advice in favour of asking strangers online is even sillier.
Take medical advice from doctors, not the internet.

BrienneofQarth Mon 20-Jul-15 20:53:46

I was prescribed this at around 6 weeks for a uti, the doctor did a lot of flipping through her book to make sure it was safe to take in pregnancy.

A uti nearly killed me in my last pregnancy and no, I'm not exaggerating. Take the pills.

HappyGirl86 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:55:30

Yep I need to take them. Thank you for all the advice. I know I should trust my doctor, I'm just being a worrier!

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Tue 21-Jul-15 07:36:15

I've had a uti for last 5 weeks - been on nitrofurantoin then switched to other stronger abx. Make sure they send away a red top bottle to the lab to check the infection is sensitive to the nitrofurantoin. I'm now on my fourth course of antibiotics...

EssiesInvisibleLlama Tue 21-Jul-15 16:45:52

I've been on low dose ABs (amoxycillin) since about 15 weeks as I had recurrent UTIs, now 35 weeks. It's done the trick. Not ideal but better than permanent UTIs. I had 7 courses of ABs in the first few weeks and it kept coming back!

WombOfOnesOwn Tue 21-Jul-15 17:57:57

Nitrofurantoin takes a direct exit through your bladder basically immediately, and is 100% safe for pregnancy. In fact, it's ONLY useful for urinary problems, because it immediately leaves your system and doesn't ever get to blood levels where it could cure anything else. It's almost like a topical antibiotic for your bladder and urethra, delivered exactly to where it needs to be. VERY different from systemic antibiotics, won't give you digestive issues or anything because of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now