Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife and Internal Examinations

(11 Posts)
waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 15:25:06

Hi. I have an appointment tomorrow with the midwife. I'll be 39 weeks. Can I ask the midwife to do an internal exam to see how things are looking? Thanks.

applecore0317 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:00:21

The midwife won't do this unless there is an issue that needs to be checked out. I wasn't examined until I had a stretch and sweep on my due date and another time before that to check I wasn't in early labour as was experiencing some contractions.

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:53:01

Ok thanks. I thought that might be the case but I have been getting loads of BH contractions and pressure really low down (head was engaged at appt 2 weeks ago). She said I was measuring big and was "all baby" so didn't expect me to go to term.

I don't want a sweep yet but am interested in whether the BHs are having any effect on my cervix.

Roseybee10 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:30:30

Tbh I was exactly the same with BH and pressure with both babies after 37 weeks. Dd1 was born at 40+4 and dd2 at 39+6.
I wouldn't advise getting poked around at unless necessary.
Dd1 was engaged from 33 weeks. Dd2 wasn't engaged at my mw appointment the day before I went into labour lol.
Hope things happen soon for you x

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:34:29

Thanks Rose. That's good to know. I was induced at 38 + 2 last time so think I'm being a bit too impatient!

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:35:23

Rosey not Rose

Roseybee10 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:39:13

aw that must be so much harder. I was lucky in that it was the other way around for me. I was actually really comfy with dd2 and wasn't ready for her to come. I was in shock lol.

They all sound like good signs that things will happen naturally for you. Second time mums dilate much quicker and all the BH will be helping. I tend to take a while to get past 4cm and then dilate fully within the hour ouch. With dd2 it all went quite quickly and I had a recorded active labour of about two hours.

Try fast rotations on the birthing ball to get head down and encourage dilation. Do you know what position the baby is in? X

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:10:03

Thanks for your message Rosey. Yes, baby is head down and engaged so all good from that point of view. I am bouncing away on my ball when I can...my toddler thinks it is a game and wants to play "bouncy bouncy"!

Would love to avoid induction this time so fingers crossed my second labour goes like yours did smile

Roseybee10 Tue 21-Jul-15 03:03:50

Lol yeh the ball with a toddler is interesting! I ended up with mine on my knee most times I tried to use it when she was awake.
Certainly did wonders for my balance and thigh muscles lol.
I meant more if you knew if baby was back to front or back to back sorry. Didn't articulate that very well oops.
X

waitingfornumber2 Tue 21-Jul-15 10:33:40

Yes I can identify with bouncing with a toddler on your knee!

Baby is back to front thankfully. I have a very clear view of her Bum and back every time she stretches...little alien!smile

Roseybee10 Tue 21-Jul-15 11:50:19

That's great. My second labour was so much easier and completely different pain wise as dd was in a good position x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now