Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Midwife and Internal Examinations

(11 Posts)
waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 15:25:06

Hi. I have an appointment tomorrow with the midwife. I'll be 39 weeks. Can I ask the midwife to do an internal exam to see how things are looking? Thanks.

applecore0317 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:00:21

The midwife won't do this unless there is an issue that needs to be checked out. I wasn't examined until I had a stretch and sweep on my due date and another time before that to check I wasn't in early labour as was experiencing some contractions.

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:53:01

Ok thanks. I thought that might be the case but I have been getting loads of BH contractions and pressure really low down (head was engaged at appt 2 weeks ago). She said I was measuring big and was "all baby" so didn't expect me to go to term.

I don't want a sweep yet but am interested in whether the BHs are having any effect on my cervix.

Roseybee10 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:30:30

Tbh I was exactly the same with BH and pressure with both babies after 37 weeks. Dd1 was born at 40+4 and dd2 at 39+6.
I wouldn't advise getting poked around at unless necessary.
Dd1 was engaged from 33 weeks. Dd2 wasn't engaged at my mw appointment the day before I went into labour lol.
Hope things happen soon for you x

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:34:29

Thanks Rose. That's good to know. I was induced at 38 + 2 last time so think I'm being a bit too impatient!

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:35:23

Rosey not Rose

Roseybee10 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:39:13

aw that must be so much harder. I was lucky in that it was the other way around for me. I was actually really comfy with dd2 and wasn't ready for her to come. I was in shock lol.

They all sound like good signs that things will happen naturally for you. Second time mums dilate much quicker and all the BH will be helping. I tend to take a while to get past 4cm and then dilate fully within the hour ouch. With dd2 it all went quite quickly and I had a recorded active labour of about two hours.

Try fast rotations on the birthing ball to get head down and encourage dilation. Do you know what position the baby is in? X

waitingfornumber2 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:10:03

Thanks for your message Rosey. Yes, baby is head down and engaged so all good from that point of view. I am bouncing away on my ball when I can...my toddler thinks it is a game and wants to play "bouncy bouncy"!

Would love to avoid induction this time so fingers crossed my second labour goes like yours did smile

Roseybee10 Tue 21-Jul-15 03:03:50

Lol yeh the ball with a toddler is interesting! I ended up with mine on my knee most times I tried to use it when she was awake.
Certainly did wonders for my balance and thigh muscles lol.
I meant more if you knew if baby was back to front or back to back sorry. Didn't articulate that very well oops.
X

waitingfornumber2 Tue 21-Jul-15 10:33:40

Yes I can identify with bouncing with a toddler on your knee!

Baby is back to front thankfully. I have a very clear view of her Bum and back every time she stretches...little alien!smile

Roseybee10 Tue 21-Jul-15 11:50:19

That's great. My second labour was so much easier and completely different pain wise as dd was in a good position x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: