Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Got my BFP - now what?

(17 Posts)
camembertlover Mon 20-Jul-15 13:57:21

DH and I have been TTC for around 6 months and after using OPK's for 1 month I got my BFP yesterday. I am over the moon but not really sure what to do next? According to the clearblue pregnancy test I am 1-2 weeks pregnant so far too early to tell anyone and I know it's very early days and anything can happen so trying hard not to get too excited but I can't help myself googling and looking at baby clothes blush I have had some dull aches like period pains and some very light spotting but this has stopped now. I don't really have any other symptoms - is this a bad sign? Should I be feeling sick yet? I am on Folic Acid and taking Vit D suppliments but other than that should I be doing anything? Am I meant to tell the doctor or just wait until 12 weeks gone before going? Sorry if these are stupid questions just have no idea what to do! TIA smile

bittapitta Mon 20-Jul-15 14:00:28

Wait a week or so to be sure it sticks. Then either make GP appt who can refer you to midwives or you can sometimes self refer. Check your local hospital website for the antenatal care section. Congratulations.

camembertlover Mon 20-Jul-15 14:01:48

thank you bittapitta will try to keep my excitement in check for now then smile

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 20-Jul-15 14:04:29

Congratulation do you know the date of the first day of your last period.. There are pregnancy calculators on line that will give you a rough due date. (Clear blue test are not very accurate)
At some point in the next few weeks make an app to see your doctor, they with refer you to you local midwife team. (I think you can self refer but I just let the doc sort everything)
Morning sickness doesn't tend to start until around 5weeks but don't stress if you don't have any.. Lots of people don't!
Just be carful with your diet.. Google what food to avoid.
Hope that helps.

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Mon 20-Jul-15 14:04:42

Congratulations. Keep taking your supplements. Don't worry about a little early spotting, this is common. Yes, ring GP and make appointment. They are unlikely to retest, they'll just refer you to the midwife do you can book in usually around 8wks. It varies. They may make the app or tell you to make it but you need to do it so you book in and get a scan app. If you want a nuchal scan make sure the app is before 13+6. It usually is but occasionally they'll send you one for 14+1 or similar. So check dates.
Don't worry about not feeling sick. I have severe sickness but it still doesn't start until 5wks. Most women with normal morning sickness feel queasy between 6-12wks. Sometimes all that time, some for just a week or so. Some women aren't sick at all. Get plenty of rest, within a couple of days you will start to feel utterly exhausted.
Good luck

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Mon 20-Jul-15 14:05:28

Oh and stay off the Camembert for now! wink

putters32 Mon 20-Jul-15 14:07:16

Congratulations!!! Happy times! Maybe tell close relatives if you want to but otherwise just enjoy having a special secret and planning how to break the happy news is exciting. Eat healthily, drink lots of water and get enough sleep etc etc but that's about it! You may not feel sick, I didn't at all. Boobs getting bigger or a bit sore might be the next symptom but is different for everyone.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 20-Jul-15 14:07:20

And keep taking the folic acid and Vit c!

camembertlover Mon 20-Jul-15 14:12:13

thank you all so much for your great advice - I may well have to change my username as reading the long list of lovely food I can't eat! I think we might tell our mums together in a couple of weeks time once we have a bit of time to digest the news. Such an exciting time - I never thought I could feel this happy and excited! smile

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 20-Jul-15 14:12:55

Sorry Vit d not c!

camembertlover Mon 20-Jul-15 14:13:57

looking at the due date calculator I am 4 weeks pregnant as my first day of my last period was 24 June - does that sound about right? Looks like an end of March baby all being well

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 20-Jul-15 14:58:00

Sounds good to me! They will give you your proper due date at your 12 week scan (usually comes out as a few days either side of the pregnancy calculator) but nice to have an rough idea.
It's just a waiting game now.. Very boring!
Where I am we get our first midwife app (booking appointment) at about 10 weeks then the scan at 12 weeks but all areas seem to differ on this but you can ask your gp when you go.. Congrats again!

camembertlovernomore Mon 20-Jul-15 15:49:09

thanks Dinosaursdontgrowontrees great username btw- congrats to you too!

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 20-Jul-15 15:57:42

Thanks! Love the name change! grin

FrankSpencer Mon 20-Jul-15 18:46:00

Congratulations on your BFP and I couldn't help smile at your EDD as yours is a few days out from mine. I'm due on March 29th, day of last period was June 20th. I'll be keeping my eye on you! grin

camembertlovernomore Tue 21-Jul-15 09:25:38

ooh congratulations FrankSpencer we can be buddies smile

FrankSpencer Tue 21-Jul-15 12:20:38

That'd be nice. I'm not much of a poster but I'll certainly be hovering around more now. I'm excited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now