Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water birth?

(15 Posts)
Beccylee92 Sun 19-Jul-15 20:07:16

I am 27 weeks pregnant and really wanting a water birth just wanted people reviews on them and maybe some advice on giving birth and what to expect confused

dustyovaries Sun 19-Jul-15 20:35:33

I had a water birth and it was magical! I used hypnobirthing and I felt that being in the water helped me to really zone out and let my body do the work. It was a really calm delivery and she came out clean as a whistle. Hoping for the same experience again with no.2, due imminently.

youlemming Sun 19-Jul-15 20:46:00

I didn't with my first but hoping to this number 2 as I've heard so many good things about it.
The water should be a great support for both lifting weight off the body and the warmth helping to relax everything.
I'm wanting to stay away from anything more than gas and air so this seems like a great option.

Cherryblossomsinspring Sun 19-Jul-15 21:14:34

I found it pretty good. May I advise that you don't hang over the edge of the pool to push, I couldn't speak standing up for a week after due to pulling muscles across my back and ribs. Was in great shape otherwise!

lolalotta Sun 19-Jul-15 21:17:41

I really did find it soothing, but was only in the pool for 30 minutes before DD arrived! I found it a nice distraction. grin

CityDweller Sun 19-Jul-15 21:22:03

Amazing, for me! I found it very effective as pain relief and it helped calm me down and get me in the 'zone' and I loved the fact that I could move around more easily than I could on dry land.

I had a home birth and rented a Birth-pool-in-a-box.

GameOfGroans Sun 19-Jul-15 21:32:19

I'm watching with interest, am 38 weeks and really want a water birth this time after a crappy time the first time around. Is it true that you should take a sieve?? shock

arthurbaby Sun 19-Jul-15 21:34:18

I give birth in a birth pool and can't recommend it enough. I found it very relaxing and was so pleased I managed to give birth with only gas and air.

arthurbaby Sun 19-Jul-15 21:37:15

I forgot to add I liked the fact I only got out of the pool once for the midwife to check progress and I was comfortable wearing just a vest top. I found the water helped me move easily as I was on my knees and rocked quite a lot, I also liked that I picked my little girl up first when she was born and carried her out of the pool.

indieblack Sun 19-Jul-15 21:44:12

Another hypno/waterbirth here. The pain relief was amazing. I got out of the pool for checks at one point and the strength of the contraction really surprised me. The sense of privacy and calm helped me feel in control. I did tear but the experience was genuinely chilled and magical DS was lovely and calm and we had lots of pool cuddles before I got out to deliver the placenta.

A couple of friends got out to birth on land as the pool didn't work for them/baby but it's definitely worth a try if available.

ApplesTheHare Sun 19-Jul-15 21:51:21

You won't know if you want a water birth until you get in the pool tbh. I thought the pool looked lovely but the nice warm water just made me feel sick and woozy. Sure, have preferences but keep an open mind too, as things in labour are rarely as you expect them to be. Good luck thanks

ThatsNotEvenAWord Sun 19-Jul-15 21:52:11

I was really disappointed with the birthing pool sad I don't think I knew what to expect and stupidly thought it would stop hurting once I got in?! After pushing for about an hour I got out in frustration and found meconium in my waters so good job I did really.

Saying that, I'd definitely give it another go next time.

DuhNuh Sun 19-Jul-15 21:56:55

I'd been labouring for about 6 hours standing up as that was the only way I could handle the pain by the time I got in the pool. I found it good between contractions but hated it for the contractions as I just couldn't get comfy. Considering it took my midwife about an hour to fill it and get the temperature right, I was only in it about 20 minutes before getting out again. The midwife did not look pleased!

I guess in summary, give it a go but keep an open mind.

LemonYellowSun Sun 19-Jul-15 22:12:39

After an assisted delivery with first son, I was keen for water birth after a friend had one and a new birthing centre opened in our area.

Completely different experience. Loved it tbh. Used gas and air still but was so great to easily move around in water. Laboured and gave birth in water. Slight graze only. Was fab.

Recommend trying it.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 19-Jul-15 22:13:42

First thing I'd say is not to think of a "water birth" as a separate thing. It's not a case of one or the other, water birth or "land" birth.
For example, most people I know were in the water for part of their labour but none actually gave birth in the pool.

I did about eight hours in the pool. It was very pleasant and helped with the pain until things got more complex. As it was, I had to be transferred to the consultant-led part of the hospital, so had to get out of the pool, but to be fair it had long ceased to be even touching the sides of the pain. In the same way that a hot bath wouldn't help a broken leg, but might soothe a headache.

If you have an "easy" birth then I'm sure the water will be enough to help throughout. It's certainly good for relaxation - we had low lights, music, hypnobirthing mantras, all that jazz. And for several hours that was all well and good.

But it might be better to think of the pool as just one tool in your kit rather than the whole shebang. It could be a useful stepping stone.

I haven't decided yet if I'm hoping to get in the pool this time round. I'm certainly not doing hypnobirthing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now