Talk

Advanced search

crib bumpers

(17 Posts)
diploddycus Sun 19-Jul-15 10:39:26

I used a moses basket with my first, so it had a fabric hood and fabric all round the sides.

We've got a crib for our second and it just looks so big and bare. I thought about getting a crib bumper for the top half but they're not recommended because they restrict air flow into the crib and can be a cause of SIDS.

But surely a moses basket also reduces air flow if it's covered in fabric? Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Am I just being precious because I think the crib doesn't look nice or comfortable when the baby isn't going to care?

Crib bumper would be removed when baby is rolling and moving as I understand there's risks around becoming trapped between bumper and mattress.

Brummiegirl15 Sun 19-Jul-15 10:42:13

You can buy a cot mesh now - so the air still flows.

The recommendation is now that cot bumper aren't used

Cheesychop Sun 19-Jul-15 10:59:12

I feel the same, the crib looks so bare but I'm not going to use bumpers. Too much evidence against for me. I'd never forgive myself. <paranoid first time mum>

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 19-Jul-15 11:39:10

You can get safe bumpers now that use Velcro not ties, and that they can breathe through. They have them in tk maxx

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 19-Jul-15 11:40:25

This is the kind of thing I mean, a cot wrap www.safedreams.co.uk

diploddycus Sun 19-Jul-15 12:02:39

I read that the mesh ones aren't recommended either. I was just confused with the difference between a moses basket with fabric everywhere and a crib with a bumper round half of it.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 19-Jul-15 13:03:19

Have you got a link about the safe ones not being recommended?
I'm not sure of the difference between Moses / cot but perhaps it's that as they baby gets older (and out of Moses basket) they are more likely to roll or climb onto the bumpers and get tangled? Just guessing though

chloechloe Sun 19-Jul-15 13:19:28

Our DD has been in a full size cot bed ever since she came home from hospital. TBH I think it's just adults who have an issue with them sleeping like that as at the beginning they look so tiny and lost in a big bed. My MIL absolutely ticked me off for doing it, but DD has always slept well in there. For the first 3 months she was swaddled so felt nice and secure despite the size of the bed. On occasion I did fold my BF pillow in half and place that half way down the cot at her feet. I don't think it made any difference to her comfort, and it just made me paranoid that she would suddenly turn through 180deg and end up with her head under it!

I'm definitely glad we went straight for the cot bed - we also have a moses basket lent to us by a friend that has never been used. I would see how the baby gets on and you can always order a moses basket if she relly can't sleep.

BeautifulBatman Sun 19-Jul-15 13:22:23

My dc will he going straight into its cot from birth but in a Sleepyhead. That's the plan anyway....

Doublebubblebubble Sun 19-Jul-15 15:16:52

Wow. So glad I came to this post. I had no idea, literally the first time I've heard this..

My DD (5) had a bumper around her cot - and obviously she was fine but I'm a worry wart and a stickler for whatever new information there is for the safety of my baby.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 19-Jul-15 15:19:52

Reading this has got me freaked a little lol can you put the Moses basket in the cot anymore (again something I did with my DD)....

HeadDreamer Sun 19-Jul-15 15:20:47

I have never used cot bumpers. I knew it was unsafe from when DD1 was born. She's 4.

Both mine slept fine in a cot bed since birth. They don't care it's big and airy.

CarrotPuff Sun 19-Jul-15 16:26:48

I also struggle to understand why Moses basket all covered in fabric is ok and crib with bumpers isn't. Personally, I did use bumpers with my DS as I didn't see any danger in using them. They are recommendations, not rules, do what you feel is best for your baby.

diploddycus Sun 19-Jul-15 17:31:13

AbbeyRoad nursery.about.com/od/Safety/a/Unconventional-Crib-Bumpers-A-Safer-Alternative.htm it's an American website but talking about the same thing. Also, I'm thinking about newborn babies in a crib, not cot, so same age as moses basket age and not moving/rolling.

I won't be using cot bumpers when the baby moves from crib to cot. But I'm still struggling to see the difference between a fabric covered moses basket and a crib with a bumper! I probably won't use a crib bumper either though.

diploddycus Sun 19-Jul-15 17:34:26

Double I think you can still put the basket in the cot, I've not seen anywhere that you can't. I was going to do that last time because I thought our hand-me-down moses basket didn't have a stand. It did in the end though.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 19-Jul-15 17:40:05

Thanks, it seems that they haven't said they are safe or unsafe (the breathable ones) and the health visitor said mine were OK. Always something to worry about though! DS does bash his head on the bars etc without one which is why we gave in and got the safe-breathe ones. I didn't use them until he was over 6 months old though, so out of the prime SIDS risk age group.

hotcrossbun83 Sun 19-Jul-15 19:03:40

Ds wouldn't sleep in the co sleeper when he was tiny but he would in the pram bassinet (in our room, not just when out walking) so I think he liked the closeness and found the co sleeper too big. I'm going to get a small Moses basket for the first couple of months this time, then move to co sleeper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now