Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

colostrum

(17 Posts)
rebbles Sun 19-Jul-15 07:46:07

I am 24 weeks and have just started leaking a bit of what I assume is colostrum. Some is clear and some is bright yellow is this normal?

also as a side note, when you give birth how soon after should you try to BE? I want to try but will also have no idea what to do- does someone show you or do you just wait for the baby to figure it out?

Cornberry Sun 19-Jul-15 08:07:09

I assume BE means breastfeed? Are you going to antenatal classes, because they will go through it all with you there. But the baby should start feeding ideally within an hour of birth, apparently. Also the leaking is completely normal :-)

rebbles Sun 19-Jul-15 08:19:49

Yes sorry BF breastfeed silly autocorrect! I'm not going to any classes yet I was waiting to see if there would be nhs ones as nct seems a bit expensive and really late in evening for me. Thanks for your replyx

MrsPeeee Sun 19-Jul-15 08:21:45

Yes leaking is normal.

Put baby to boob as soon as you can with lots of skin to skin. Google 'biological nurturing ' babies can find the nipple themselves so you can enjoy your tea and toast smile

deuscat Sun 19-Jul-15 08:22:29

In hospital the midwives will help you with BF. I used to buzz them every time I latched my baby on so that they would check it was correct.

Cornberry Sun 19-Jul-15 08:31:51

Do ask about antenatal classes. I was asked to confirm if I was attending NHS ones pretty early (maybe 16 weeks?) so perhaps contact hospital or midwife team and enquire. They fill up pretty fast. I've just finished NCT course (you're right, crazy expensive £350?!) and it's good to be able to ask all the questions, and there was a special breast feeding class so quite useful.

Doublebubblebubble Sun 19-Jul-15 11:43:38

I'm 29 weeks and have already started leaking - newborn came into my work screaming her head off and I felt the tingle you'll get to know and love XD - only leaked a tiny amount but still thoroughly annoying! I didn't want to have to break into my breastpads yet lol!

When I had my DD she was on my breast within 1 minute of being born - quite literally straight up under my nighty! (advice; try to remember which boob is taken first (I didn't have any antenatal classes and ^being quite naive and stupid^) as I didn't know that you are meant to alternate boobs lol (luckily I realised and I don't have one monster boob lol

Doublebubblebubble Sun 19-Jul-15 11:47:44

Also - if you get moved to the wards after birth - and I suppose this is dependent on the hospital - they might have a lactation consultant who will show you positions/holds so baby is getting a mouthful of breast and not gumming your nipples - ouch!

Christelle2207 Sun 19-Jul-15 15:34:08

The midwives will encourage your baby to breastfeed pretty much immediately. However both of mine were too sleepy to be bothered. The MWs were very proactive on the ward though and in both cases babies managed to feed within a few hours.

Christelle2207 Sun 19-Jul-15 15:37:41

And the midwives were very helpful despite me being clueless. The general support continued once I was at home too, people came to see me and I was given numbers to call
Etc.

eckythumpenallthat Sun 19-Jul-15 15:39:11

Yes thats normal.

When I had DD MW suggested first feed when I came round about 2 hrs after I had her. Don't really remember it though.

OhEmGeee Sun 19-Jul-15 15:45:18

Get your baby to try and latch on straight away if you can. This isn't always possible depending on how things go, but lots of skin to skin is great. Write it in your birth plan. The mw should help you too. Find out your bf support at the hospital.

plonkie Sun 19-Jul-15 19:44:37

Re breastfeeding, I'm addicted to watching YouTube videos of babies doing a 'breastcrawl' which is basically when they've just been born, placed on mums tum and they crawl towards the boob themselves. Just like loads of other little mammals. It's so cute :-). I'm 30 weeks now and really hoping I can initiate something close to that with my little one :-)

plonkie Sun 19-Jul-15 19:44:39

Re breastfeeding, I'm addicted to watching YouTube videos of babies doing a 'breastcrawl' which is basically when they've just been born, placed on mums tum and they crawl towards the boob themselves. Just like loads of other little mammals. It's so cute :-). I'm 30 weeks now and really hoping I can initiate something close to that with my little one :-)

Doublebubblebubble Mon 20-Jul-15 08:59:24

plonkie me and dh were talking to our DD about breastfeeding ( she thought that there was a bottle still involved somewhen - shes 5) and I had completely forgotten about the breastcrawl lol agree with you its one of the cutest things ever (also shows how strong babies really are) - I apparently can't watch these videos as they also make me leak lol x

plonkie Mon 20-Jul-15 10:15:45

I can't watch breast crawl vids without blarting, honestly floods of tears streaming down my face! And yes, how amazingly strong are newborns when there's a chance to chomp on a boob haha x

HerdofAntilop Mon 20-Jul-15 19:44:01

If there is a baby cafe near you you can go as an expectant mum as well after the baby has been born. There's a really good one near me that I have been attending for a couple of years with ds1. They tend to be different in different places though - at mine everyone stays and had a coffee and a natter. Others people use more for occasional drop in advice.

If you like reading stuff Kelly Mom kellymom.com covers loads of useful topics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now