Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone had an achey bump?

(12 Posts)
Frillsandspills Sat 18-Jul-15 21:38:42

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and my bump has just came out. I went to hospital a few days ago over cramps and pains and I was reassured it was just things growing, heard babies heartbeat for a little bit (he was moving so much we couldn't hear it for long).

My belly today has been quite sore, and I've had a little lower back pain. Nothing too bad but enough for me to notice, but I had a little bowel movement trouble earlier and I think I have some trapped wind which may be contributing to the aching bump/backache.

I read on baby center that it's normal at 19 weeks to get an achey bump so I was just looking for reassurance really that at 18 weeks its still normal? My stomach feels quite heavy and stretchy, it's hard to explain, possibly because I'm not used to a bigger belly.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Clairejessica123 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:16:20

Yes i defiantly had this at some point before my 20 week scan. I remember coming out of my scan with bump being really achy as the woman was quite forceful when scanning. At 24 weeks I still get this on and off and put it down to baby growing. I've mentioned it to my midwife and she's always said as long as it's more uncomtable than painful then it's fine

Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 11:35:41

Thank you Claire. I would definitely describe it as more uncomfortable than painful (except in the morning when I'm bursting for a wee..)

It definitely feels like it's just growing perhaps so I'm glad someone else has felt similar!

Anna2710 Sun 19-Jul-15 13:11:09

I am 24 weeks and have had achey bump on and off for weeks. Some days I'm ok and can move semi normally, other days I can barely move about as achey, sore and heavy all over bump. Today I have a sharp pain in top right of bump but ok everywhere else which I have no idea what it is but hoping that us just stretching too!!

Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 13:23:29

Anna I've had a few sharp pains too in different places, I asked the nurses in the hospital and they said they hear what I described all the time and they just put it down to stretching! Its very worrying but it's reassuring when other people say they felt the same, must be normal!

bunny85 Sun 19-Jul-15 14:19:19

Funny how I saw this thread just today, because yesterday that's exactly what was happening to me all day and got me very worried. As you say, not painful too much, rather very uncomfortable aching sensation, heavy bump, and was getting worse if I move, even turning in bed made me cringe. I didn't know what it was and was really nervous, but woke up this morning to a brand new me (and bump!). So gotta be something to do with growing/stretching then... One of those things!smile

Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 15:02:39

Bunny that's exactly what happened to me! After my discomfort I suddenly noticed a bump! The uncomfortableness carried on a bit though and similar to you turning over in bed wasn't very pleasant! It's not as bad now I don't think, little bit uncomfortable when I've had a big meal but that's probably me overeating!
How many weeks are you?

plonkie Sun 19-Jul-15 19:54:33

Yeah I get this too and its really annoying! Had it from quite early and still get it now at 30 weeks. It's taken me this long to figure out that (at least for me) stretching, yoga type exercises help! I feel really guilty for not doing enough exercise now from early pregnancy but initially it felt so uncomfortable even to walk that I've pretty much abstained :-/. I think for me its related to the muscles stretching and causing a feeling that's like a pulled muscle (round ligament pain basically). I started to look at the 'spinning babies' website which, on an unrelated note, is about trying to ensure your baby ends up in the optimum position for the birth. A happy coincidence is that the exercises it recommends give the uterus a work out and helped with my aching. Might help for you too? Or just stretching exercises are v relieving too. Might not feel it at first though!

bunny85 Sun 19-Jul-15 22:22:20

Frills, I'm almost 22 weeks and have had a visible bump since about 18 weeks. In fact, in my previous post I actually meant that I woke up to a brand new me, and a brand new (i.e. not painful) bump, sorry for not being very clear!

So today all day - no pain, no discomfort whatsoever. Go figure!

Frillsandspills Mon 20-Jul-15 02:31:03

Thank you Plonkie I will definitely be looking up some yoga exercises. I had pretty toned tummy muscles so I think maybe that's why they're hurting quite a bit when they're stretching but that's just my little theory! Fingers crossed exercised work!

Bunny sorry I see what you mean now I thought you woke up to a bump! Well that's relieving to know the stretchy feeling doesn't last forever (I hope). I've got a newly developed bump now and i just can't seem to get used to it yet!

bunny85 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:02:29

Yes, it does take a while to get used to, but I love having a bump, and now kicks too. Finally I have a constant proof that I'm pregnant! grin I didn't have any symptoms in the first trimester, and spent the whole time worrying if all was well, so couldn't wait for the bump and kicks.

Today no pulling aching feeling, but some sharp twinges in the bump (from time to time) - most likely stretching. So don't worry, apparently all normal! Enjoy your bump wink

Frillsandspills Mon 20-Jul-15 10:30:33

bunny I was exactly the same! No symptoms at all in the first trimester so I should be a bit more overjoyed to have a bump! I think I will be when the kicks finally start grin

I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now