Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

London Tube

(17 Posts)
ExcitedA3 Sat 18-Jul-15 19:19:56

Hi All,
I just wanted to share a positive story with you about the London tube for once! I'm 26 weeks pregnant and have been down in London all day, got the tube a total of 6 times and each time I was offered a seat on more than one occasion! Lots of horror stories on here about it but this weekend Londoners... You did good! X

scarednoob Sat 18-Jul-15 20:20:02

That's because they're all tourists at the weekend. Try 8.00am Monday morning ;)

kbro79 Sat 18-Jul-15 20:42:52

I commuted up to 37 weeks in
London and can count on 1 hand the number of times I wasn't offered a seat. Honestly London is a much kinder city than its made out to be.

TimeforaDietCoke Sat 18-Jul-15 21:15:03

I've just finished work for maternity leave at 36 weeks, having commuted daily in rush hour on the tube in rush hour. I had to ask for a seat about a third of the time I'd say but more often someone would offer. A few people saw and then ignored my enormous bump but they really were the exception.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sat 18-Jul-15 21:24:31

34 weeks pregnant and still commuting - am offered a seat, I would say, 4/5 times. Pleasantly surprised!

londonliv Sat 18-Jul-15 21:26:25

Yay for London tibe! I would say about 95% of the time I get offered a seat. Maybe it's something about the Victoria & Northern linesgrin

GirlSailor Sat 18-Jul-15 23:28:17

I get offered a seat quite frequently. Often in rush hour the people sat down can't see me as other people in the way but I'm in my second trimester so often say thanks but I'm fine anyway. At the weekend though, I hardly ever get offered. Earlier on I would have said it was tourists who didn't know what the badge means but the bump is pretty obvious now. Tourists often seem to be complaining loudly about standing for 1 stop so maybe they just can't cope without a seat!

ArtichokeTagine Sat 18-Jul-15 23:33:36

Three pregnancies with daily tube commutes and I can remember only one time when I didn't get a seat and felt I needed one.

LoveLetters Sun 19-Jul-15 06:38:19

Got the Tube a lot and it always did make me laugh... people would glance at your bump and put newspaper up so they think you haven't seen them

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 19-Jul-15 07:05:38

31 weeks and have a 3hr commute each day with two trains and a tube each way. Can.count on one hand the times I've had to stand on any leg of that journey and on each of those occasions, I didn't mind (I'd have asked if I was struggling).

Have also had someone opposite me ask if I was ok.and keep an eye on me when I went lightheaded one journey - she.spotted my sudden change in colour.

People aren't as inconsiderate as they're made out to be!

contractor6 Sun 19-Jul-15 07:54:16

Tube commuters generally better than train or bus commuters, IME.

TimeforaDietCoke Sun 19-Jul-15 08:55:51

I agree with Contractor - only was offered a seat twice on my overground train!

scarednoob Sun 19-Jul-15 08:58:32

I think it depends partly on which line you take. I often have to use the sweatbox that is the Piccadilly, crammed full of people coming in from heathrow with their massive suitcases, and they are the WORST for feigning sleep as soon as they see the badge/bump!

swimmerforlife Sun 19-Jul-15 09:03:50

When I was pregnant with DS, on the tube and train I was offered a seat about 75% of the time at rush hour. I only had to ask in a handful of times and they all said yes.

Hoping for a similar experience this pregnancy.

purplemunkey Sun 19-Jul-15 09:34:04

I'd say the opposite about tourists - those that only use the tube seldomly seem less aware of things like priority seats, letting people off before you get on and so on. I commuted via mainline rail and underground up to 37 weeks and I too could count on one hand the number of times I wasn't offered a seat. Of those handful of times only a couple were people obviously ignoring me, the rest were people genuinely not noticing I think. I've commuted on the tube for years, I've normally got my headphones on as well as a book/kindle/paper in front of me so it's easily done. You tend to remember the bad experiences over the good IMO.

Sapat Sun 19-Jul-15 09:49:45

No such luck on central line. Maybe it is the City...

ArtichokeTagine Sun 19-Jul-15 10:39:17

In my experience the District line is most pregnant woman friendly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now