Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to eat from 6 weeks? #constantly queasy!

(19 Posts)
Achm Sat 18-Jul-15 14:30:40

There are very few foods I even want to eat at the moment but almost everything makes me feel sick later on. I'm living on crisps, jacket potatoes and ginger beer, with occasional ice lollies. I'm already fed up with feeling sick and the exhaustion isn't helped by having no food in my system!!
Any advice would be so so welcome! Would also be nice to talk to anyone else at the same stage!
Ps this is no. 1 for me, so very new and flummoxed!!

Skiptonlass Sat 18-Jul-15 15:00:31

Just eat what will stay down at that stage. I had horrendous nausea the first four months (still sick now at 6 months although it's manageable.) the baby will take what it needs from you - if you can only keep down ginger beer and spuds then so be it. I lost 11lb in my first trimester sad

If the sickness is bad enough that you're dehydrated, unable to keep food or fluids down then you need to seek medical attention.

My sympathies - the exhaustion/nausea combo is a sod. Rest all you can!

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 18-Jul-15 15:13:47

I survived on crisps, white bread (toasted) and cheese. And orange juice. Until the nausea/vomiting got so bad I needed meds.

I found the first 20 weeks were all about eating whatever stayed down.

Congratulations on your pregnancy flowers

Jelliebabe1 Sat 18-Jul-15 15:54:19

Just eat whatever will stay down. Little and often. Try the usual remedies, ginger etc. I've been told that travel sickness bands work quite well too! Good luck!

Achm Sun 19-Jul-15 04:48:48

Thanks!! People are saying I have lost weight, which is a bonus as I didn't manage to lose before we conceived. I managed a bit of pasta today which was great, thanks for the support!
Xxx

Bellabutterfly2014 Sun 19-Jul-15 05:50:47

Hi, I'm 21 weeks and felt sick initially up to around 9-10 weeks then it went, I then started again with sickness around 17-18 weeks and still feeling tummy achey and suck some days, had my 20 wk scan last week and everything is ok I'm just a bit nauseous!!!
I'm inclined to agree - eat what you can keep down - it is a worrying time and it's hard to know what to do but I've found that to be best - I eat a lot of ginger cookies too they are a great remedy xx

Cornberry Sun 19-Jul-15 08:10:38

I was really sick until 23 weeks. For the first trimester I ate pretty much only cereal and potatoes. Just eat what you can and don't stress about baby. I know it's pretty awful and exhausting and depressing but for most women in should pass by 13-14 weeks. Good luck.

NighteyesLovesGingerbread Sun 19-Jul-15 08:40:52

I'm 14 weeks and still only eating 'brown' food - cereal, toast, plain pasta, crisps. I'm also drinking loads of orange juice.

just eat what you can - I'm on my third pregnancy like this and all babies thus far have been healthy and good weights despite my awful diet!

docmcstuffins1 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:48:01

Poor you. I've just posted as I'm 6+ weeks and worried because I don't feel sick. After reading your post OP it sounds awful and I think I should be grateful that I don't feel sick! Sounds like you're doing the right thing eating what you can. Hope it improves soon.

Hi, I'm now 23 weeks and still occasionally being sick (sorry!) I just wanted to warn you though, some people will say it's just normal morning sickness and it most likely is but if it gets to the point you cannot keep anything down for a day or more, including water, please do go to the doctors. I finally went back 3 times after being told normal morning sickness, try crackers and was severely dehydrated and got hyeperemesis diagnosed. You can also get anti-sickness.

Even 'normal' pregnancy sickness can be exhausting though, so eat whatever you like whenever you like!! Don't worry about eating chocolate instead of vitamin rich fruit etc, the baby will be fine, just eat what you can when you can, and it'll probably pass! X

MummyBexta Sun 19-Jul-15 09:12:26

I ate a few plain Jacobs cream crackers every morning and sipped ginger tea then always felt better enough to have toast later

Achm Sun 19-Jul-15 09:44:40

Oh thanks everyone, it's so reassuring hearing other people's experiences! I've found I can manage some fruit and ginger beer helps but I'm already fed up of the taste of it!! Would love some chocolate but even the smell makes me queasy! I think I'm starting to learn what I can cope with and luckily I've only got a week of work left then 5 weeks off. Really hoping it calms down before I go back!
docmcstuffins please don't worry, just enjoy it!! Everyone's pregnancy is different I'm sure you're fine! Xx

BeverlyGoldberg Mon 20-Jul-15 08:04:53

I found sparkling water really helped with nausea. I was never actually sick but I went off loads of foods until well after I gave birth.

Blackandwhitecat3 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:49:54

Yes, just eat whatever you can eat and don't worry about it too much. The baby will stock up on your vitamin/mineral reserves. You may find though that what worked for you one week, you can't stand the next....there are plenty of things I stocked up on in the supermarket only to not be able to eat them!

Do try to keep fluids up though (I find drinking through a straw helps) and if you can't, ice cubes are good, especially when they go all crunchy.

Good luck and congratulations!

PaperFlowers Mon 20-Jul-15 12:34:57

Don't worry, just eat what you can, when you can. Drink whatever works for you - at the end of the day, fizzy drinks are still mainly water even if not ideal, so if that's what you need to drink, go for it. Ginger beer will be fine. Sweets will give you energy at least and as the nausea is sometimes your blood sugar dipping, they may even help.

I felt bad about my eating habits at first because I'd buy a load of somehitng that was ok, only for that to change the next week and also because I was eating 'crap'. The baby really will be fine - the whole point of midwives keeping an eye on you is so that in the highly unlikely event you do lose/gain so much weight it could a be aproblem, they can help you out later on (remeber that is so, so rare). If you can keep your vitamin tablet down, there's all kinds of great stuff for the baby right there.

What worked for me pretty consistently was letting the first wretching/bile vomiting fit of the day happen and then eating whatever I felt able to after that, which stayed down more often than not. The crackers on the bedstand thing never worked and just gave me more to bring up.

mygreeneyedboy Mon 20-Jul-15 12:36:26

As above, eat what you crave! In my experience I have worked out that acid food makes me throw up (even tomatoes!!). Orange and apple juice has been a complete no no in both of my pregnancies (currently 9weeks with DC2)
What is the most important is to drink. I find milk helps to line my stomach. I also make sure my stomach is never empty - having said this I have hyperemesis and so I'm on anti sickness tablets!
If you are struggling to keep fluid down, say for example you have had one glass in the past 24 hours, I would suggest you see a doctor and ask for your keytones checked (this measures your dehydration levels)
Hope you are feeling better soon!! At 6 weeks in both pregnancies was certainly my worse!!

Achm Mon 20-Jul-15 18:07:36

Thanks again everyone, I'm managing on little bits but feeling much calmer about it now! Have discovered that lucazade sport is magic!!

mygreeneyedboy Mon 20-Jul-15 18:45:06

Oh yes! Lucozade sport is apparently better than water in times like this, according to my doctors :') it contains electrolytes which help rehydrate you and maintain glucose in your body! Glad you're feeling a bit better

Achm Tue 21-Jul-15 20:52:34

Thanks mygreeneyedboy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now