Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice on induction at 42 weeks

(20 Posts)
coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 12:35:33

Help.

I'm stuck and would like some advice. I am 40 + 10 today and currently waiting for a midwife to come round to attempt a second sweep. Had one on wednesday and midwife couldn't reach cervix so said that she would "route around for it"

She offered me induction on Monday and at the moment I have refused. She said I could opt for a scan and monitoring on Monday and if no labour by Wednesday I'd have to be induced (I know I have other options and can ask to be monitored further however im taking this as gospel just for the purpose of this thread to get some advice.

I, from day one have said I would do everything I could not to be induced, the horror stories scared me and because my spd is so bad I was worried about having to be hooked up to a drip and not being able to move about (lying on my back is agony) I know that they try the pessary first but if that doesn't work is the next stage the drip?

I'm rambling but basically I'd like to hear some positive induction stories especially this late in the game.

Would you hold off for the birth you had hoped for? Or at least give yourself the best chance?

Just wanted to talk this through with someone

FourAndDone Sat 18-Jul-15 12:47:27

I know this might sound difficult.
I promise I'm not been a bitch.
Iv seen you post quite abit and can see your excited but obviously nervous!!smile

You need to be happy and relaxed for labour to start. Reading others stories of day long inductions etc won't help.
You WILL have your baby this coming week. Download a book or get a box set started on TV.
I know how you feel 3 out of 4 of mine were overdue and 2 induced.

Just relax smile

coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 13:08:52

How do I delete this thread?

Lunastarfish Sat 18-Jul-15 13:40:07

I gave birth this week. My labour started naturally but I ended up on syntocinon when my contractions allowed down (so what you'd have if the pessary didn't progress things). I had an active labour, I was standing, sitting, on all fours and ended up giving birth squatting on the floor despite being hooked up to the drip and monitors. However, I didn't have an epidural - that will obviously affect your ability to be mobile.

It wasn't the birth I wanted, but overall it really wasn't that bad either.

soloula Sat 18-Jul-15 14:02:47

I was terrified of induction with DD and was booked in for 40+10 but ended up going into labour naturally the day before. I googled 'positive induction stories' and it really helped me prepare mentally for what I had convinced myself was inevitable. As it turned out, a group of us were all due within a month or two of one another and the one girl who was induced was the one with the shortest labour with no need for extra pain meds and no intervention - all of us who'd went naturally ended up giving birth in either the operating theatre or a labour room with umpteen medics present. Try not to worry yourself. You can stay mobile with inductions and your midwife should support you in this. And as Four said above - your baby will be here by this time next week so try and stay focused on that as they'll be here before you know it! smile

coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 14:03:12

Thank you least I know an active birth is possible.

coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 15:09:09

Thank you. I do need to chill out and go with the flow. I feel very irrational and weepy and generally very pregnant and I really don't know what to do for the best whether I can be bothered fighting for expectant management or whether I just want this all over with now.

Queazy Sat 18-Jul-15 16:33:09

I had SPD and had an epidural and was on a drip. The pain management is there if you need it, and I didn't have any other interventions. I won't pretend it was the way I would have wanted it or that I'd want to go down that route again (but if I'm overdue I guess I have to!), but please don't worry about the experience itself. Those who go into labour can have births better or worse, and induction doesn't automatically mean a bad experience at all. It'll be over soon and you'll have your little one. Those final weeks were bloody hard - I can truly empathise xxx

RandomMess Sat 18-Jul-15 16:41:49

I've been induced 4 times

41 weeks
42 + 3

Honestly the 42 weekers were a breeze. All mine were unassisted deliveries, ARM was the worst bit but that was with the "early" ones.

I asked about monitoring with my last and had a very honest discussion with the consultant - as I couldn't have a homebirth past 42 weeks I decided to get induced then. I think having a "perfect" birth didn't matter to me anymore after having a screaming for 6 months baby - I was so chilled and relaxed and it was a doddle.

TheEmpressofBlandings Sat 18-Jul-15 16:53:47

I've been induced once and gone very very overdue once (with spd).

The induction was fine, I had the drip but asked for remote monitoring so was still able to be upright and walk about. I laboured either upright or kneeling over the bed and delivered standing up. It was a bit of a faff having all the cables to manage but far better than being on my back.

I've also declined induction, as there was no indication I needed it other than being late. I had monitoring and scans and all continued to be fine so I continued to wait. I went into labour naturally at 40+18 - 36 hours after my waters had broken -and had a lovely, easy home birth. It's not true that you can't have one past 42 weeks, the midwives are obliged to tell you that it's not advised, but they also completely supported my decision to ignore that and have one. As I was having daily monitoring at that stage, I was very comfortable that the baby was absolutely fine and just didn't want to come out.

RandomMess Sat 18-Jul-15 17:24:31

My 40+17 had thick meconium, was 10lb 6oz, wouldn't feed - so homebirth probably not advised tbh! Not to mention once in established labour I labour very very very fast i.e. minutes

The downside of daily monitoring is that an awful lot can change within 22 hours. I just wasn't sure I wanted to live with any consequences just because I wanted a "perfect", "natural" last birth.

Boxoffrogs123 Sat 18-Jul-15 19:46:36

I went to 44 weeks with my 4th DC I wasn't made to have daily monitoring until the last week. She came out with no signs of being overdue and everyone was very supportive but I was aware of the possible risks and I did have to stand my ground if my consultant wasn't on duty.

Pinksuitcase Sat 18-Jul-15 22:06:23

I was induced this week, had a 24hr pesary on Wednesday morning and was allowed to go home, I went back in to hospital about 8.30 on Thursday, pessary fell out at 10.30, by 11.30 I was very uncomfy and the midwife gave me 2 codienes and some gas and air, baby arrived at 12.10, so fast, not much pain relief, 2nd degree tear but not too bad! Much easier than my long natural 28hr labour with forceps first time round.

coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 22:29:21

Thank you for all your replies you have made me feel more informed.

I think I'm going to give obsessive googling and mumsnet a rest now and relax and see what happens. I'm just gonna take each day as it comes. Hopefully baby will be nice qnd happy on Monday and we can go a few more days.

Figster Sat 18-Jul-15 22:34:57

I was induced at 40+11 was on my feet until I wimped out and had a epidural until then was very active. I actually quite enjoyed having the monitoring and reassurance all was progressing well.

It's not all horror stories hope it all goes well

Kreeshsheesh Sat 18-Jul-15 22:43:24

Both mine were induced at 42 wks and 43 wks. Pessary both times. First time dd born after 6 hrs normal labour. Second time, ds born after 1 hr! Absolutely no problems at all. Good luck op! X

PookBob Sat 18-Jul-15 22:50:07

I was induced at 40+13. Pessary mid afternoon, then a walk round the hospital grounds. Period like pains early evening, took some paracetamol and had a long bath, by the time I climbed out the bath the contractions had really strengthened, DS was born at 10pm.

No time for any pain relief other than the paracetamol, but lovely memories and I stayed awake all night just staring at DS's cute little face smile

dustyovaries Sun 19-Jul-15 20:27:22

Try not to worry I was 41 plus 6 with my DD and the pessary worked, had a natural birth in the water with just gas and air. x

coneywonder Sun 19-Jul-15 20:35:45

Ah that's good to hear dusty thank you x

UrethraFranklin1 Sun 19-Jul-15 20:50:42

you need to be happy and relaxed for labour to start

Rubbish. Your mood makes not the slightest difference to whether your labour starts or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now