Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you buy your first baby bits for your first baby and what did you buy?

(19 Posts)
Frillsandspills Sat 18-Jul-15 11:39:51

Hi,
I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I haven't bought a single thing.
Im leaving buying big things like the pram til I'm about 30 weeks I'd say, I've chosen which one but I feel it's far too early to buy.
Most things I'm going to get after the 20 week scan but I've been dying to get some little clothes and things for weeks now, but I know once I start buying things I won't stop and I really don't want more than I need. My mums underway knitting me a selection of blankets in different colours and grandmother has bought a few vests and things but a lot of people who've asked are surprised I haven't bought a single item myself.

I just wondered when you bought yours for your first? I still have no idea what I actually need as opposed to what I want.
I fear I will confuse my house with a mamas and papas store if I'm not careful!

Gillian1980 Sat 18-Jul-15 11:44:45

Immediately!

I bought a couple of little bits of clothes as I just needed to - I was far too excitable to stop myself.

But I've managed to stick to a list and a budget as we're needing to be very careful with money. I enjoyed buying a couple of bits each payday and spreading the shopping out smile

Eminybob Sat 18-Jul-15 11:45:10

I didn't buy anything until after week 20 as I wanted to know if we were having a boy or girl first.

I think the first thing I bought was a hooded towel from ikea. I was there for something else though. Think I also got a cot mattress protector from there which has never been used as we got a cot bed rather than a cot so it doesn't fit! That's impulse purchases for you. I would definitely recommend their hooded towels though, so much bigger than the ones from the likes of mothercare so have lasted way longer. Have been back for more.

Then I think we ordered the pram and nursery furniture, but had it delivered much later.

OhEmGeee Sat 18-Jul-15 12:05:12

I didn't buy anything until after the 20 week anomaly scan, I wanted to know my baby was ok first.

bunny85 Sat 18-Jul-15 12:14:59

I'm 21 weeks and haven't bought anything except for a tiny blue hat envy I was in the hospital the other day and noticed there were these old ladies knitting behind a big table set up in the main hall there. There were some tiny sweaters and knitted toys and hats, and they were knitting for charity. I thought it was a lovely way of buying a first thing for my baby.

mrsmeerkat Sat 18-Jul-15 12:17:47

First time I think I bought the bottles and bouncer around 20 weeks. Then started buying bits each week after that.

Dont buy too many clothes - you will get lots of gifts and the baby isnt in the small stuff for long.

mummyneedinganswers Sat 18-Jul-15 12:18:35

Straight away couldn't control myself, partner busall the time eevery timehe goes out he comes home with new stuff for her, I have my cot pram bedroom decorated forher and cloths and im 20 weeks but Ihad to iIhave a house to sort before she is here I have floors to put down and my hole house needs painted so we bought because it was sensible for us to sort babyout first and then concentrate on the house x

soloula Sat 18-Jul-15 12:28:14

With DD I started buying clothes when I was 16 weeks after we had a gender scan and I knew she was a she. I got her cotbed earlier than I'd planned - maybe about 20-22 weeks - as toysrus had a big sale to celebrate the first royal baby so we got a cracking deal that I didn't want to miss.

With this second pregnancy I've done the same - waited until we've had a gender scan and then started picking up bits and pieces and taking advantage of any sales (and my mums good nature to store stuff until baby's here).

HelenF35 Sat 18-Jul-15 12:46:48

We bought most of our stuff in the January sales as it was cheap, which was at about 13/14 weeks.

CalypsoLilt Sat 18-Jul-15 13:02:28

I was bargain hunting on ebay straight away smile

Frillsandspills Sat 18-Jul-15 13:14:28

Thanks everyone! I found out I was having a boy two weeks ago and I wanted to wait til the 20 week scan so I knew everything was ok but I've seen so many beautiful little bits I want to buy, mainly clothes and things but I don't want to end up with too many as everyone gets them as gifts.
I will definitely get the ikea towels though!

soloula Sat 18-Jul-15 13:54:38

The one thing I'd say with buying clothes is bear in mind what you've already bought and what goes with what. I bought loads of clothes for DD when I was pregnant but then when she actually went to wear them I realised I didn't have tights/socks/cardigans/leggings etc to match so ended up going out and buying more than I needed to get the wear out of what we had if that makes sense. Not such a huge issue with wee boys I know but worth bearing in mind as its sooo tempting to just get every cute thing that you see. grin

Also if you think you'll get lots of clothes as pressies then just stick to 0-3 to buy yourself maybe with a few newborn too as you'll probably get loads of 3-6 months onwards .

Focusfocus Sat 18-Jul-15 14:33:28

Bought everything after 16 weeks, once knew sex and health.

Bought stroller, cotbed, mattress, sheets, towels, crib, travel cot new. All cheapest of the range.

Everything else - as in everything else - came for pennies off ebay. All clothes, winter stuff, reusable nappies, sleeping bags, booties, hats, shoes, just everything came off ebay for between £2-3 each. Clothes were cheapest. We have gazillions for pittance. All look unused, and will be reused and resold

Had got a very generous gift from parents to get everything new. Bought more than we need off ebay and 70% of gift money has gone to the bank smile

Crumbelina Sat 18-Jul-15 15:03:43

26 weeks and I have 1 sleep suit, 1 vest and erm, one monkey. smile I need to get going.

Aximillian Sat 18-Jul-15 18:54:18

I'm just 10 weeks and I allowed myself one little swaddle thing to cuddle until little lentil comes in February. I want to wait until about 25 weeks for anything else, I think. Our spare room is still known as 'the wedding room' at the moment, so it's quite a transition to lentil's bedroom!

m33r Sat 18-Jul-15 19:52:42

What souloula says even for boys. Lots of stuff which just doesnmt quite have a partner - little grey Mickey Mouse t-shirt; all bottoms are wrong grey or wrong blue. Sounds a bit anal but it's a bit annoying especially with PFB! blush

m33r Sat 18-Jul-15 19:53:39

Oh, and 12 weeks we bought a little stuffed toy. Everything else after 20weeks when we knew we were having a boy

mrswishywashy Sat 18-Jul-15 20:08:21

24 weeks here and brought two story books after 12 week scan. Last week brought three outfits. We've got our pram and car seat chosen but are going to buy it we on discount. Have been given a Moses basket and travel cot which we will use until the new year and then buy cot. We move house in three weeks and then will start to get nappies, wipes, basic clothes and other little bits. November will come around fast but most things can be bought in supermarkets any time of day so not too concerned.

chopsface Sat 18-Jul-15 23:12:31

Hi frills coming up 19 weeks on Monday and not bought a single thing either. We are waiting until the anomaly scan plus would rather know the sex if we can. All we've done so far is browse a few baby's r us catalogues looking at cots and buggies etc but no decisions made. Beans room is still very much dh's computer room/study.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now