Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ok.... I'm panicking

(8 Posts)
Starfish25 Sat 18-Jul-15 08:42:45

I'm first time mum and have been taking folic acid and my midwife advised me to take vitamins too (the free ones you can get) anyway she didn't tell me that them vitamins contain folic acid as well so I've been taking the two of them can this harm my baby? Should I go and get checked out? Im 10w4d. Thanks for any help

PotteringAlong Sat 18-Jul-15 08:43:33

No, you will be fine.

Starfish25 Sat 18-Jul-15 08:45:07

Omg thank you x

BrienneofQarth Sat 18-Jul-15 08:48:46

I got a prescription for folic acid in addition to what you get in the otc vitamins, because my bmi is fairly high. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do much harm but you could always check with the pharmacist? How many mg are you taking, just out of interest (not because I know about potential harmful levels or anything!)

WiIdfire Sat 18-Jul-15 08:51:14

No. High risk mummies need to take 12 times the dose of folic acid that is advised, so you will be fine with a double dose. Plus you will have folic acid in your diet aswell in cereals etc. You dont need to worry.

Starfish25 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:00:56

Oh thank you I'm a worrier anyway! I was only taking one folic acid and one of the vitamin one, think next time my midwife tell me to take something I'm triple checking blush

Thank you all flowers

Junosmum Sat 18-Jul-15 09:09:16

Plus folic acid is water soluble and so any you and baby don't need comes out in your pee.

coneywonder Sat 18-Jul-15 09:13:40

You can't overdose on folic acid like pp said anything your body doesn't need gets flushed out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now