Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hayfever and preggo

(10 Posts)
MrsMB01 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:49:20

Please help! Is anyone else suffering from hayfever at the moment? It's driving me mad but reluctant/unsure whether I can take anything? Next midwife appt in couple weeks so was going to ask then but it's been so bad today I've had enough.

Thanks in advance smile

eightytwenty Fri 17-Jul-15 16:51:53

I took cetirizine and avamys through 3 pregnancies and all was fine with dc.

BexusSugarush Fri 17-Jul-15 16:56:09

You will be told not to take antihistamines (hayfever tablets) during your pregnancy, but to try nasal sprays and eye drops. I've always had awful hayfever but it has completely disappeared during pregnancy! I guess it's my body's way of balancing out all the other rubbish it now throws at me ;)

scatterbrainedlass Sat 18-Jul-15 21:02:22

I believe Prevalin nasal spray is ok, either ask your pharmacist or try ringing your MW for advice? My hayfever has actually been worse while pregnant sad

Runningupthathill82 Sat 18-Jul-15 21:26:55

My hay fever is worse during pregnancy. Doctor told me that piriton was fine, but added that she couldn't "officially" tell me that. I'm taking it when I have to.

andadietcoke Sat 18-Jul-15 21:30:28

I took loratadine - I think hayfever medication's one of those 'not tested on pg people' so therefore can't be guaranteed as safe things.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sat 18-Jul-15 21:39:07

Loratadine... Although not tested on pregnant women (for the obvious reasons), my GP said that certain anti-histamines have been prescribed to pregnant women in the UK for decades with no sign of ill effects. He might be a bit blasé but felt confident enough to tell me that it's 'safe' as I was a little nervous.

Hotpotpie Sat 18-Jul-15 21:54:21

I have nasal spray, seems to be doing the trick. My doctor told me that in the third trimester antihistamines are not advised

soloula Sat 18-Jul-15 22:46:08

This is my third year on no meds - pregnant, breastfeeding and now pregnant again. This summer had been the worst! My friend is a pharmacist and she recommended prevalin to me last week but I've has bad spd so not made it to the chemist yet to get any. I've found Liz Earle's eyebright lotion to be really good for my itchy eyes though. I keep a bottle in the fridge and find it really calms the itching.

MrsMB01 Fri 24-Jul-15 21:18:45

Thanks for the replies ladies. Apologies for delayed response am new to posting haven't quite figured out how to track threads yet. I've got prevalin nasal spray thanks for the advice last few days it's been a big relief! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now