Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bad cramps early pregnancy...normal?

(9 Posts)
jusdepamplemousse Fri 17-Jul-15 15:55:49

Just wondering if anyone can put my mind at ease? I'm around 6/7 weeks (somewhere in the middle). Have been having regular period type pains basically since I found out I was pregnant. I know pains are normal as the womb stretches but I feel like it's a bit early to be stretching?! Pain is of varying intensity but last night was bad enough to wake me from sleep. I've had no bleeding. I think I'm hopefully just a little paranoid as miscarried in May but no friends in real life seem to have had pains like this during their successful pregnancies. Just wondering if anyone can tell me something positive. I know there's nothing to be done about anything anyway etc and I need a grip but I'd love some friendly reassurance. Thanks in advance if anyone can give some!

leelteloo Fri 17-Jul-15 15:59:40

Congratulations! I had period pain like cramps with two of my three pregnancies early on. Before I knew I was pregnant with the last one, I kept thinking I must be coming on. It's a very anxious time and sometimes stress can give you tummy pains too? Good luck with it all.

BexusSugarush Fri 17-Jul-15 16:03:43

I had exactly the same cramps at around that time; mine disappeared by week 10. I am now 16 weeks with a healthy little baby in me. Every woman's body is different, try not to stress too much about it, just find ways to alleviate the pain. And congratulations smile

Mulligrubs Fri 17-Jul-15 16:04:25

I had period type cramps in both my pregnancies pretty much from conception til about 16 weeks constantly. I am 23 weeks now and still get them once a week or so. It isn't necessarily a bad sign or anything it may mean all your ligaments and uterus are stretching.

In my first pregnancy it worried me so much for the first 4 months I'd check my knickers about 50 times a day, that is how convinced I was that it was actual period pains and something would go wrong (I now have my DS who is 20 months smile).

Try to relax as much as possible, use a hot water bottle if needed and drink lots of water as staying hydrated can help with muscle pain smile

jusdepamplemousse Fri 17-Jul-15 16:12:08

Thanks guys! It is reassuring to hear it can happen in a healthy pregnancy. I don't really mind the pain so much, it's just what I'm worried - was worried - it means. I can definitely identify with the knicker checking! blush

jugglingmonkey Fri 17-Jul-15 16:18:37

Mine were really bad this time too... I was constantly on knicker watch! Now 17 weeks and all progressing well.
I also had some 'round ligament pain' this time, which seems to have gone now, but that was quite scary. Sharp jabby pains in the womb area whenever I moved or got up quickly. Luckily they seem to have ceased now too, but another lovely symptom to look out for!

julesldn Fri 17-Jul-15 16:44:16

I've been getting them too and have read a lot in books and on MN about how normal they are. Hope you're not worrying too much and have a successful pregnancy smile xx

EdgarAllenPoe Fri 17-Jul-15 16:50:39

I had really horrible, catch your breath cramps from weeks 4 - 7. Not a speck of blood though. Then nothing whatsoever after 8 weeks. Happy little bean at the 12 week scan (I'm now 15). So long as there's no bleeding and it's not always specifically on one side, try not worry too much about it.

I'm all about the round ligament pain instead now.

jusdepamplemousse Fri 17-Jul-15 18:15:32

I've been wondering what on earth 'round ligament pain' was! confused it came up on my ill advised panic googling. Sounds beastly! I never knew early pregnancy could involve so much random soreness...the whole process could do with some refinement! Anyway thanks for all responses which have given me the grip I was looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now