Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Discrimination at work?

(8 Posts)
BexusSugarush Fri 17-Jul-15 15:50:21

Since I announced to my work that I am pregnant they only give me a day's work a week at most, compared to the usual 3-4-5 days I got before. I am only 16 weeks and am still fully capable of doing my job.

I am on a 0-hour contract although classed as an employee, but other employees on the exact same contract as me are still being offered work, DESPITE being less capable/trained at the job.

I have done some research and even approached my employer complaining of this, but I was shrugged off with excuses.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or do you think I should take this further? I feel awful that I am not contributing financially towards our family right now.

jusdepamplemousse Fri 17-Jul-15 16:03:40

I feel like perhaps in your situation a successful complaint / claim - if possible at all - may hinge on how long you have been working there before pregnancy i.e. can you show an established and lengthy pattern pre pregnancy? You need to consult your employee handbook/contract for the grievance procedure and go from there if you are being brushed off. What did they say when you brought it up, and who was it you talked to?

Horrible situation flowers hope you can get something sorted.

BexusSugarush Fri 17-Jul-15 16:10:40

I have worked there for 5 years and have had a very consistent work pattern for at least the last 2 years. This has come completely out of the blue and at such a coincidental time. I have followed the steps in the handbook by emailing my boss with my concerns (we are a small company of less than 50 people) and their opinion was just that they were sorry I felt like this but the work has slowed down, more cost-effective staff being used at the moment etc etc.. none of the answers given to me were accurate or a good reason for me not being given any work.

I am just worried about taking it further as I do not want the stress of it, or the possibility of me coming off worse in the end.

confusedeio Fri 17-Jul-15 16:53:10

You shouldn't be being treated differently due to the pregnancy. If you believe you could show a clear pattern of reduced hours since your pregnancy began you should have a claim. Is there any other possible reason that you know of ie they have lost clients or everyone has lost hours etc. If not, it would be worth seeking some advice. Some employment lawyers will give you some advice free or the CAB can point you in the right direction. Is your career unionised at all? Is so, it might be worth joining the union and using their services, some will allow access immediately. I recently was dismissed for a pregnancy related illness so I've learnt a lot about this recently!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 17-Jul-15 20:12:51

I think you should take it further. It looks suspicious they are doing it at this stage as maternity pay is calculated based on your qualifying weeks which are roughly weeks 17-25.

Maternity Action are a great organisation, have a look at the info on their website and perhaps give them a call

julesldn Fri 17-Jul-15 23:40:41

Sounds like you have the basis of a claim to me!

Call ACAS - it's free and they give good advice over the phone. If they say you have potential for a claim then Id speak to a hired employment solicitor.

If you're dealing with loss of potential earnings throughout a pregnancy, maternity leave and then possibly when child is older (eg you had no intention of leaving) then it is likely to be worth your while pursuing the issue. Good luck!!

Unthoughtknown Sat 18-Jul-15 07:20:43

This is potential discrimination. Document everything and call maternity action as a pp said. Make sure you fight it as less hours will also mean less mat pay.

confusedandemployed Sat 18-Jul-15 07:24:30

Yes as long as they are not telling the truth when they say that work has slowed down, the fact that your work pattern has been established for 2+ years gives you grounds to take it further, on the face of it.
Grievance procedure first. If that gets you nowhere, tribunal claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now