Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Where did you gain weight during pregnancy?

(25 Posts)
Yummysalads Fri 17-Jul-15 12:17:27

Hi ladies, I'm pregnant and was just wondering where I'll gain weight, as a rough idea.

Personally, where did you gain weight? I'm not talking about bump/fluids/baby, I'm on about the extra fat you stored everywhere else. Was it just your boobies?

I'm really frightened of losing my athletic figure everywhere, but of course I don't mind the tummy and boobs. Thank you x

ShootTheMoon Fri 17-Jul-15 12:21:14

Thighs and hips, sadly. It's a common place because it's a good store of fat for breastfeeding. In my experience it depends on genetics, plus how sick/tired/unwell you are.
I have a healthy BMI outside of pregnancy and run and play competitive sport. But that has to stop after the first trimester or so for me. And basically I pile on a pound a week in pregnancy, which is a big adjustment and really quite upsetting.

It falls off when I'm breastfeeding though.

Everyone stores fat differently so you'll just have to wait and see, I'm afraid smile

Yummysalads Fri 17-Jul-15 12:23:54

Oh no �� so eve if I'm doing my intensive workouts, (if I'm physically able to), I'll still gain weight?

I only ask because I'm seeing women who still have baby adjusted sick packs at/toned tummies at 8+ Months and don't see to have gained an ounce of fat anywhere apart from where the baby is.

ShootTheMoon Fri 17-Jul-15 12:29:21

Everyone is different. Some people are very unwell and lose weight. Others are very nauseous and gain weight. I gain a lot of water weight - I'm very puffy - which drops quickly after pregnancy (about 25lbs off within a week after birth).

It's really not the priority. Try to get good nutrition, rest, and listen to your body. Exercise if you can - the endorphins feel good - but accept that your body will change. And take advice on weights etc. you don't want to risk separating your diastasis recti with the wrong exercises, and you need to be aware of the effects of relaxin on your ligaments.

LumpyCustard69 Fri 17-Jul-15 12:39:50

Everywhere with my first sad Face, hips, tummy, legs, arms, just everywhere! This is my second pregnancy, and it seems I've only really put any weight on, on my bump! Well, apart from all the swelling in my feet and legs of course.

Roobix04 Fri 17-Jul-15 12:43:41

I lost weight because I was so ill. Started gaining some back at the end but still weighed less just after birth then I did before pregnancy. It started to show on my boobs mainly.

RolyPolierThanThou Fri 17-Jul-15 12:49:28

I tend to lose weight in pregnancy. I mean I gain weight, but less than the sum total of placenta, baby plus bathwater.

I know that makes me a bit atypical but do remember that a lot of the weight is fluid. Think of the cankles some pregnant women get. That's not fat, is it. It makes you look big, it shows up on the scales but you lose it in the first few weeks (night sweats ugh!!!!).

So don't fret too much. Eat normally as you did pre pregnancy. I tend to eat a bit less on the third tri as my stomach shrinks and I get full sooner. The rest of the time I eat the same.

I'm at the top end of normal bmi, if that helps.

RattleAndRoll Fri 17-Jul-15 12:55:15

Fucking everywhere.

lauraa4 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:00:06

I'm 30 weeks and haven't really put on weight anywhere. My thighs maybe a little but hardly noticeable. I wasn't overweight to begin with anyway, I'm 5'6 and had a bmi of 22 pre pregnancy. I was worried about putting too much on but I've been eating the same as I was before, some days maybe even a bit more because you do crave sugar a bit more. Or I have anyway smile

The way you look really isn't something that should be your priority, eating well and having a healthy and happy pregnancy are the main things. Don't feel bad if there are some days you just want to lounge around in front of the TV eating crap. I can assure you there will be days like that! You need to look after you and the baby and obsessing over putting on weight isn't something that can be avoided I'm afraid. Some people will naturally bloat from water retention etc where as others won't. If you have quite an athletic body beforehand once you've had the baby it shouldn't be hard for you to go back to that quite quickly.

Yummysalads Fri 17-Jul-15 13:05:49

So how do people completely keep in shape throughout pregnancy? Because some do!

lauraa4 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:12:55

As PP have said everyone is different. Some people will naturally bloat due to extra water retention where as some people do not suffer from it. There are ladies who have put on loads of weight with their first babies and hardly any with their second. It all depends on that particular pregnancy. Eating well can help with maintaining a healthy weight but it's not always guaranteed that you won't put any weight on.

As I said I've hardly put any on and I do literally no exercise, and am eating normally as I did before, some days more than others. Maybe it's luck, genetics, I really don't know.

RolyPolierThanThou Fri 17-Jul-15 13:29:51

Yes I agree. I dont do more exercise (less in fact thanks.to spd. I cycle to work and that's it) and eat more sugar but have smaller portions as my appetite has gone right down.

I dont bloat though. No cankles for me so I look thinner than pre pregnancy but im not DOING anything for that. It's just how me pregnancies go. Do not compare yourself to others. In many ways the pregnant body will do what it will.

Just eat well (think more about what to good stuff to eat than what not to eat) and know that every woman is different. The athletic ones are not necessarily doing something right that you're not.

lemon101 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:30:29

Yummysalads I am wondering if you are seeing the same posts as I am on facebook. They are these toned, immaculate women still looking awesome in their lycra and lunging doing weights all over the place 8 months pregnant!

I can't say that this sort of visual doesn't influence me as well..... but take it with a pinch of salt! The photos taken are very carefully selected, nice lighting, maybe the odd filter etc. Also generally these women are very very devoted to exercise and clearly also very lucky - pregnancy and its effects vary a lot from woman to woman and they have obviously not drawn the 'feeling awful and puking 20 hours of every day' straw.

As others have said above, the priority is the baby, but its also you. Pregnancy can be really very hard and you need to give in to yourself when you feel awful and cut yourself some slack. Pressing on in pursuit of the body beautiful when sustaining a foetus is a mistake.

Also a big part of me thinks that this sort of thing is a new and exciting way to put pressure on women to look fabulous at all times - even apparently somehow expecting them to be sexy and fit even when their waistlines are expanding.

On the other hand (as I said - that sort of visual does influence me too), I am slightly neurotic about putting on weight in pregnancy and am trying to keep a lid on additional calories. I still run three times a week - much slower now, but I'm still running and that is to maintain a good weight, but its also because running helps alleviate stress for me.

Soooo, basically I understand where you are coming from but pregnancy is a big deal and don't get sucked into pressure to look like these crazy fit ladies. Eat that entire tub of biscuits on the days you need to wink

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 17-Jul-15 13:48:27

I'm not a naturally slim person (BMI of 24 before I got pregnant) but I totally lost my appetite with pregnancy. I've still put on a load of weight - but all on my boobs and tummy. My legs, arms and bum have shrunk and that's despite doing less exercise due to SPD. So there's hope for everyone!

Hellochicken Fri 17-Jul-15 13:54:41

Upper arms, thighs and belly.

But just had 4th child and now 1 stone over my usual weight. This happened each time, all 3 times previously went back to normal eating 3 meals (plus extra snacks), occasional jogging, breastfeeding and after 6 months was back to usual. I know you can go back quicker but I mean with really no extra effort I was back to normal.

if you go back to your pre-pregnancy habits after baby born that you will also go back to that size. It's temporary.

I tried to focus on eating good(ish) food anytime I'm hungry to stave off tiredness. Also iron rich foods (as I hated taking iron tabs before- managed to avoid them this time).

Skiptonlass Fri 17-Jul-15 15:30:28

Ignore the Lycra mummy bloggers ont t'internet. That way madness lies.

You can be fit as a flea beforehand but still get struck down by spd and be barely able to move. There will be no lunges if your pelvis is falling apart, I can assure you smile

Different people carry differently. If you're tall there's more internal space for your baby for example so maybe the bump will be smaller (but not for everyone )

Everyone puts weight on differently. If you're healthy and fit and eat well it'll come off after with few issues. Concentrate on being healthy not minimising weight gain. Don't eat for two and excercise safely (no overheating, don't redline your heart rate for too long as this can redirect blood flow away from the foetus) be aware of changes in ligaments and balance which can make you more prone to injury etc.

I've lost from everywhere else and just grown this enormous ruddy great bump and boobs. 27 weeks of constant vomiting is to blame....

Sansarya Fri 17-Jul-15 15:32:42

Bump only but I didn't put on much weight, maybe about 10lb.

Blackandwhitecat3 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:38:01

I'd be tempted to believe those photos on the Internet are photoshopped anyway.

Nottalotta Fri 17-Jul-15 15:48:12

I normally gain weight quite easily and was about a stone and half heavier than i'd like when i fell pregnant. I had awful nausea for 16 weeks and HAD to eat crabs and cheese constantly. I have eaten what i wanted since then - not to say I've pigged out, i have still had a lot of fruit and salad, but if i want burger and chips I've had it.

Miraculously, at 38wks i have gained 1st 10lb. All bump. I'm bloody amazed!! And thrilled.

Gillian1980 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:03:33

Ive only put it on my bump and boobs, with puffy ankles in the past couple of weeks. I've actually lost weight elsewhere!

I was very overweight pre-pregnancy with BMI of 36 ish I think. But generally been eating healthier for baby's sake and therefore I've got smaller and baby (and bump) have got bigger.

Everyone will be different so all you can do is wait and see.

bonzo77 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:08:43

I haven't really. 31 weeks with third pregnancy. I've started all my pregnancies at a healthy weight, 9st4, 9st and 8st10 (yes, I got lighter after each one), then lost around 7lb with nausea in the first 14 weeks. Then gradual gain to 10st10, 10st2 ish (though DC2 was 5 weeks early). Most gain was bump and boobs, a little on my thighs with DC1. My natural body shape is small hips and waist and thicker thighs, so some of my trousers that fit in the thighs are big on my waist. I have been able to wear them within a month each time, the only limiting factors being waiting for bump to subside and soreness from my CS scar.

And I've done nothing to encourage this. My diet is totally erratic. Though I don't eat when I'm not hungry I do eat the second I feel a twinge of hunger. And it's not nuts and seeds I promise! And I don't exercise: normal day to day stuff like walking, gardening, housework, but nothing organised.

So OP I think you either have to be lucky, or work very hard at it. I'm not sure the latter is sensible or even really possible. But equally, if you do what you normally do in terms of exercise and eating there's no reason why you would get huge. I think some people take pregnancy as an opportunity to eat far too much, often because they are accustomed to being excessively strict with themselves. Obviously there are exceptions, and if your mobility is affected (eg by SPD or being in bed rest) or you have unmanageable cravings, things can be rather different.

Yummysalads Fri 17-Jul-15 18:57:00

Thank you ladies, very insightful and helpful x x x

Runningupthathill82 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:20:46

Second pregnancy here. I'm currently running 3-4x a week and still doing circuits and weights as well. Pre-preg, I had a bmi of 21 and a six pack.

Now, at 13 weeks, I'm round. My arse is huge, my belly is colossal and my boobs have gone up a cup size. Even my arms have lost definition.

With DS, by contrast, at 13 weeks I hadn't gained a pound. Despite the fact that I wasn't eating as well or exercising as much as this time round.

It's luck I'm afraid...and can be frustrating!

Looserella Fri 17-Jul-15 21:22:45

Just the bump really, maybe the boobs a bit too.

P0llyP0cketR0cket Fri 17-Jul-15 21:30:46

I was a tall size 8 pre-preg. I'm now 37 weeks gone and for the last couple of weeks have seen the fat on my thighs angry I seriously have cellulite on my knees - what is that about?! Boobs also huge but everything else is currently normal smile

I've put on loads of weight but can still wear some pre-preg clothes - I'm guessing my height means the weight is spread over a greater surface area so you can't see it as much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: