Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really, is this a thing?

(48 Posts)
bestguess23 Fri 17-Jul-15 00:48:21

So my dsis came over tonight to celebrate my reaching 12w. After she had a wine or 4 she began telling me a blow by blow account of her labours. Then said with her ds1 she had an incredibly powerful orgasm during the pushing stage. Is this a thing or is she winding me up? She seemed deadly serious but I've never heard of it before. Please all come this way and laugh at the gullible one.

Ladygaggia Fri 17-Jul-15 01:08:00

I've heard of it, but I think it's rare.
Orgasms are supposed to be a good form of pain relief during labour.
I just don't think many of us are thinking of having a fiddle when we are giving birth.

bestguess23 Fri 17-Jul-15 01:12:38

Oh wow, I really though she might be winding me up. She said it was spontaneous and with no stimulation, well she thought it was something to do with the baby passing through the birth canal. She said it came from nowhere and was unmistakable, to the extent that her dh finally got up the courage to ask her what it was many months after the birth.

fattymcfatfat Fri 17-Jul-15 01:12:43

I've heard of it too, but it just seems strange to me, I'm trying to get a baby out and trying desperately not to think about how it feels!

StupidBloodyKindle Fri 17-Jul-15 01:17:45

Orgasmic Birth.
Tis a thing.
Alas, sadly not for me. Mine were brutal and visceral and Not What You Need To Hear Right Now. wink
I do remember reading a birth book though and an anecdote about a labouring mother begging her husband or the midwife to masturbate her as she was having such sexual frustration. shock confused grin
Strewth, I am not easily shock but my eyebrows hit the bloomin' ceiling!
I think it was the idea of asking the blinkin midwife for hand relief. WTAF?!
But yes, back to your question, have heard of this, there are books on it, there may even be youtube vids on it brain bleach brain bleach but I haveno idea how you'd have one!!! grin

bestguess23 Fri 17-Jul-15 01:23:22

Thanks all. Don't worry, it's not aspirational, I just wanted to know if I was being gullible!

StupidBloodyKindle Fri 17-Jul-15 01:30:42

Honey, it should be aspirational but having just googled and found one advocate claiming 'orgasmic' can define the wonderful natural primal feelings of 'natural' childbirth, as opposed to an orgasm,as in 'this food's orgasmic' I remain sceptical....tis a ploy, I tell ye!! wink bitter cos she did the natural birth thang and got no sodding high off any sodding endorphins
Go, your sis, though! Good on her, my vagina would have been far too embarrassed blush

fattymcfatfat Fri 17-Jul-15 02:34:22

The only high I got was from the gas and air. Fucking awesome stuff that grin

Skiptonlass Fri 17-Jul-15 09:12:44

My god.

Is this going to be the new Mommy Blogger experience du choice?

"Reuben was nourished on only the artisanal organic biodynamic foods I ingested during my sacred pregnancy. I gave birth Drug Free and naturally to the sound of Tibetan throat singing and achieved the most wonderful orgasm as he entered the world. Obviously I will home school him and not sully his precious indigo child aura with vaccinations...."

Shoot me now...

EmMcK Fri 17-Jul-15 09:17:11

I can't stop sniggering at StupidBloody's "I think it was the idea of asking the blinkin midwife for hand relief. WTAF?!"
I am pleased to report no orgasms from three labours.

scarednoob Fri 17-Jul-15 09:19:35

Dear god. Hearing that and the unwanted mental imagery would have made me want to reach for the wine. Being upduffed and unable to down it, I would have had to knock myself out with the bottle instead!!!

clarabellski Fri 17-Jul-15 09:42:37

Hahaha this topic has cheered up my otherwise dull Friday morning. I don't care if it's true or not, it's funny! Thanks! smile

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jul-15 09:42:54

during my first labour and when my DD was crowning I had a feeling that was similar to the start of an orgasm. it was strange but also a relief from the pain and made that part of labour more enjoyable and I felt in more control. but it wasn't a sexual feeling, its hard to describe.

I didn't get it with my DS as he was pulled out of me at 7cm. as his heart rate was dropping.

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jul-15 09:45:49

feel weird now, as nobody else has said they had experienced the same, blush

I remember telling my friend about it after the birth and she gave a funny face and nodded, now I know she thought I was crazy!

clarabellski Fri 17-Jul-15 09:49:49

Hi Fanjo. Apologies, I didn't mean to make you feel weird if it has actually happened to you. It was the further stories/responses that I found funny (asking midwife to provide hand relief etc)...

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jul-15 09:52:15

it made laugh too, and there's no way I would have asked to hand relief! bloody hell, but I did have that feeling, but I'm not sure you could have a full orgasm, but I don't know.

clarabellski Fri 17-Jul-15 09:53:49

Ah well, better that feeling than excruciating pain!

avocadotoast Fri 17-Jul-15 09:56:15

I've heard it can be a thing. Didn't happen for me though!

I have heard that, ahem, engaging with your partner during labour can help you relax and help your body do what it needs to do. Wouldn't have been for me at that time though!

FadedRed Fri 17-Jul-15 09:56:23

fanjodysfunction given your birth experience, do you not think that a name change is in order, as your fanjo appears to function in a far superior manner than the rest of us poor mortals? grin

OOAOML Fri 17-Jul-15 09:58:26

Not pregnant, but this came up on active threads so I'll contribute - personally I spent the later stage of my second labour sitting in the car feeling like a football was trying to come out of my bum. It was very far from orgasmic.

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jul-15 10:01:26

nah fadedred, I would say it was a dysfunction! grin

as I said though I only had a feeling not a full orgasm, I'm not sure that would have been possible as I was concentrating on breathing and getting baby out.

I'm pregnant again due in December, so shall see if it happens again.

FadedRed Fri 17-Jul-15 10:19:58

Perhaps it would be worth giving avodado's suggestion a try - if only to see the expression on the face of the midwife!

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jul-15 10:25:27

grin haha, don't think so.

I have heard of women getting their husband to masturbate them to help the induction process.

when I had the feeling though I thought it was totally normal as well it seamed plausible that you might have a feeling like that, its only since having DS that I realised not everyone did.

I've just done a Google search on it and well, do not go on YouTube!

bestguess23 Fri 17-Jul-15 11:07:49

So this morning I spoke to dsis mostly to mock her hangover and she reassures me it is a thing and not a wind up. She also said it did really help with the pain. Kindle, that is a scary image! Should I broach it with the midwife now, a casual, "so, happy endings?" Could you imagine? Poor midwife! So, I am now enlightened but shall be relying on good old gas and air for my pain relief... Unless I am very lucky!

afloat Fri 17-Jul-15 14:36:40

It's definitely a thing. There's a section about it in the very excellent book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now