Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant from an unfortunate event

(23 Posts)
MajorWoopsies Thu 16-Jul-15 18:11:50

Hello.

I don't dare check but I think I might be preggos. The causative incident wasn't my choice, which is the main reason I really don't want to check, but I've noticed a change in my discharge, which at first I thought was an STI (I haven't been checked since it happened), I've been craving salty foods all the time- pretty much as soon as I've finished eating one lot, about half an hour later I'll be wanted another packet of crisps/pot noodle/battered sausage (not my typical diet!), I'm also very slim and have noticed a wee pot belly, very slight but does not go in as much as it used to. The last couple of days my breasts have been slightly sore especially around the areola.

I can explain these away individually but I'm really not sure, does this sound like I should be concerned? I also have PCOS which makes me doubt that I could be pregnant.

Please offer an opinion!
x

mrsruffallo Thu 16-Jul-15 18:12:53

Sounds like me on a normal day.

nottheOP Thu 16-Jul-15 18:14:05

There really is only one way to know... Early symptoms can nearly always be put down to pmt.

MajorWoopsies Thu 16-Jul-15 18:18:38

That's reassuring, cheers!
I've bought a test, just waiting for the anxiety of not knowing to tip the balance so I take it.
x

IrenetheQuaint Thu 16-Jul-15 18:20:41

OP - maybe I'm misreading this, but it sounds like you may have been sexually assaulted? In which case, do consider going to the police.

Hope things work out for you.

SweetPeaPods Thu 16-Jul-15 18:23:07

As you know only way to really find out is to poas.
Either way I really would suggest getting yourself checked out.
Have you spoken to anyone in RL about what happened?

WorzelsCornyBrows Thu 16-Jul-15 18:23:48

First of all, I'm sorry for what's happened to you, how are you dealing with that? Have you got support in RL?

I don't know what I'd do in your situation, but I think realistically you need to know for definite to really make a decision how to go forward.

Appleblossom82 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:29:38

Gosh why didnt you take the morning pill and speak to the police??

Do the test so if you are pregnant you can decide what you want to do with plenty of time to spare and please also go for an sti test.

flowers

Appleblossom82 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:29:56

Morning after pill*

WorzelsCornyBrows Thu 16-Jul-15 20:35:29

Appleblossom you're assuming this wasn't a partner. Also, there are many reasons why people don't go to the police, why most don't.

Penfold007 Thu 16-Jul-15 21:50:48

''The causative incident wasn't my choice, which is the main reason I really don't want to check''

So you were raped? You really need to take a test and consider your options.

Megan220715 Thu 16-Jul-15 22:10:28

If you are pregnant it's up to you to decide it sound like how I was tbh.. I really wanted fatty things. If you were raped tbh i found it doesn't really change the way you look or feel about the baby. I was raped 2 weeks before my 16th birthday and found out I was pregnant at 24 weeks because I struggled to except that someone could do that. But now 6 days before my due date I couldn't be happier over the fact that I'm having a baby. It gets easier hugs go to you

avocadotoast Thu 16-Jul-15 22:26:55

Appleblossom, what a helpful contribution hmm

OP, do you have support in RL to deal with this?

Appleblossom82 Thu 16-Jul-15 22:47:54

I suggested taking a pregnancy test, reporting the assault to the police and getting an sti test. Id call that pretty good advice actually.

I do wonder why op didnt take the morning after pill if raped. I know that was top if my agenda when i was. Sorry if thats not helpful.

Junosmum Thu 16-Jul-15 22:54:04

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I really urge you to get an STI check - it could affect your fertility in the future if you have something. I understand why you wouldn't go to the police, and though I urge you to reconsider it is totally your choice.

As for pregnancy, you could be if it was unprotected sex but you'll only know by doing a test. I don't know how long ago the incident was but the sooner you find out if you are the more options are open to you, and if you chose to continue with the pregnancy, if you are pregnant, then you have longer to deal with any emotional stuff you are going through and to make plans for the future.

As for Appleblossom, she's usually very helpful and supportive, must be having a hormonal day!

sianihedgehog Fri 17-Jul-15 07:23:02

Appleblossom, there can be uncomfortable shades of grey in this stuff that you don't actually sort out in your own mind until it's too late for the morning after pill. Also speaking from experience, here. It can get even more confusing when it involves friends or partners, or if you were intoxicated. Yours would have been great advice to the OP on the morning after, but I think it might just make her feel guilty now.

OP, there's only one way to check, get a test. If cost is an issue you can buy them from pound shops or off amazon, or own brand ones from the supermarket all much cheaper than brand name ones. you should test after your period would usually be due. If you don't have regular periods, test 3-4 weeks after your sexual assault.

WorzelsCornyBrows Fri 17-Jul-15 10:18:43

Let's not derail this thread with debate about what the OP should/shouldn't have done, everyone reacts differently and every circumstance is different, let's not judge or make the OP feel like she's done something wrong, she hasn't.

OP, I hope you're ok today.

RattleAndRoll Fri 17-Jul-15 10:27:34

Only definite way of finding out is going to be to do a test. I hope you are ok. Sorry that something happened to you that wasn't your choice. thanks for you x

jmac88 Fri 17-Jul-15 11:36:56

Sorry to hear what you have experienced. You will get through this whatever decision you make. You have already had your choice and control taken away from you so this is a great opportunity to take back control and make your own choices about what happens next. Please don't feel guilty or to blame. The only person who is responsible for what has happened is the perpetrator.

You can get extra support from your local rape crisis centre. I would definitely recommend them and they will not judge you or encourage you to report to the police.

You can find your local centre on their website rapecrisis.org.uk

All the best to you xxx

MajorWoopsies Fri 17-Jul-15 12:51:30

Hello! Thanks for the advice, luckily the test was negative which means I just must really like salt and vinegar discos at the moment. And probably caught an STI, so I shall pull my head out the sand and get tested for all that jazz. Yes I did report it to the police and it is still on going, we are actually quite hopeful we could get somewhere at least with this. The reason I didn't take the morning after pill is because it was a slow realisation over the space of four days as to what had actually happened. I even went to the pub the following night and laughed and joked with my friends, because I didn't realise what had happened. I think this is a normal reaction, and any reaction is normal. There's not a guide book on how to cope with this; telling someone what they "should" have done three months ago when they'd just had the rug pulled from underneath them isn't productive, the best way from here is onwards.

Thanks again,

xx

jmac88 Fri 17-Jul-15 12:56:06

"Here here" major. You are spot on!

whatsoever Fri 17-Jul-15 16:21:01

Very well said MajorWhoopsies and I'm very happy for you that you are not pregnant in this way.

I am extremely lucky to have never been in this situation but I have several friends who have been raped and the sooner people stop thinking rape is a bloke in a balaclava jumping out and a big sign in the sky appearing and flashing up the words "this is a rape", the better.

I hope you have some supportive people around you IRL and are coping with what has happened biscuit wine

Penfold007 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:04:37

Glad you got the result you wanted and huge respect for reporting the assault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now