Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron supplements

(5 Posts)
quesadillas Thu 16-Jul-15 14:19:11

Hi,

Consultant has said I'm borderline anaemic. He's suggested I buy some iron tablets if I'd like, although he won't prescribe at this stage. Any that are particularly safe or unsafe in pregnancy? I'll probably just go to Boots.

Also, what are the problems with anaemia in pregnancy? Am I at more risk of anything because its a multiple pregnancy?

Thanks.

pinkie87 Thu 16-Jul-15 14:31:00

I'm also borderline anaemic but don't need tablets and I've bought some spatone (got mine from Amazon) to boost my iron levels a bit. Floradix is another one but I saw Spatone had better reviews. It is just iron-rich water in sachets and you mix it with orange juice (for vit c) and drink it.

CalypsoLilt Thu 16-Jul-15 14:43:59

Floravital all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it so much (I think I'm secretly addicted)

sizethree Thu 16-Jul-15 17:13:31

I take the apple flavoured spatone sachets. They are ok in taste. But I find iron really messes with my digestion. So I'd recommend getting some all bran/ dried apricots/ prune juice to help balance uour digestion back out.

RockerMummy184 Thu 16-Jul-15 17:17:46

Hi quesadillas I've seen you on the Multiples board a few times. Did your consultant not put you on Pregaday/another iron supplement when you found out you were expecting twins? I've been on them since 9 weeks due to the risk of anemia being so much higher in multiple pregnancies and they seem to be fab, my iron levels have been perfect throughout. May be worth asking at your next appointment or giving your GP a call?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now