Talk

Advanced search

The risk of post partum haemorrhaging in 5th pregnancy??

(5 Posts)
stateoftheart Thu 16-Jul-15 12:13:14

I appreciate no one can give me medical advice, I was just wondering whether anyone who had more than 4 births can tell me whether they were told the risk was high.

I was hoping to birth in the MLU but consultant recommended hospital with cannula put on during labour just in case!

I don't feel like I can make an informed decision unless I know the extent of the risk.

bakingtins Thu 16-Jul-15 12:27:28

www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/parity-and-postpartum-haemorrhage---query-bank/
www.midwifery.org.uk/?page_id=731
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9271837

All say effect of grand-parity is small or not significant. The other thing is, how quickly do you labour? I was supposed to have a cannula and consultant led because of previous PPH, no doctor got to me quick enough to get a cannula put in before I delivered. I had a v similar experience to previous births on MLU - bed pushed to one side of the room, mats put out, delivered in my preferred position, just one midwife in attendance - it wasn't a bad experience at all.

MazyCrummy Thu 16-Jul-15 12:35:18

I'm pregnant with baby #5 now and am receiving mw led care - the consultant didn't even want to see me - so it can't be an automatic increased risk just because of being multi paritous.

stateoftheart Thu 16-Jul-15 13:49:24

Thank you for that research. I would much prefare MLU and the chances of interventions are higher in consultant led.

Levismum Thu 16-Jul-15 21:22:01

I gave birth to dc 4, 5 & 6 in 3 different birth centres.

It was only with dc6 they mentioned pph. I agreed to a cannula when I was admitted to the centre.

All was fine. No pph. Happy & healthy dd.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: