Talk

Advanced search

How do you know babies head is engaged?

(6 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Thu 16-Jul-15 00:32:44

Basically been feeling really weird down below since this afternoon.

Was told last week babies head is engaged 4/5. But today it's a weird feeling, like some times when you try & hold a wee & scruntch legs together (TMI) feels sore & something is there inbetween preventing me to do it.

Could this be babies head totally engaged?

PavilionGrey Thu 16-Jul-15 07:29:37

What did the my actually say? When referring to 'fifths above brim' this means the amount of the baby's head that isn't engaged (so still palpable above pelvic brim)

If your notes say 4/5, this means 4/5 of the baby's head is not engaged yet (so the baby's head is actually only 1/5 engaged)

Does sound like the head is becoming more engaged though, given your other symptoms. Exciting!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Thu 16-Jul-15 07:34:06

Pavilion I had two different midwives use two different ways of writing how engaged DD was. One wrote 4/5 meaning how much head she could still feel (ie the bit not engaged) the other one wrote 4/5 meaning how far in the head was. Confusing!!

OP it definitely sounds like head is engaged. I couldn't really tell the difference between partially and fully engaged but the more waddly you feel generally the more engaged. How far along are you? They do sometimes stick their head in and take it out again if you're not close to the end.

MumToBe2015R Thu 16-Jul-15 08:32:11

Thank you.
I'm 37+5, still a chance to still head back out?

youlemming Thu 16-Jul-15 10:07:04

My last few checks 4/5 engaged was how much of baby's head with In which I thought was the std way of saying it.
But yes baby could be engaged (some days it feels like walking with a melon between my legs) but could also pop back out again before labour, my first never got past 3/5 during check up's but number 2 has been 4/5 for about 3 weeks now and occassionally I think she has engaged then moved out again.

HazelShade Thu 16-Jul-15 10:48:41

If your notes say 4/5 palpable that means the head is only 1/5 engaged (which does not officially count as engaged at all - it only becomes engaged at 2/5 palpable, or 3/5 engaged), whereas if the notes say 4/5 engaged it means 1/5 palpable. Basically the two are opposites. Palpable = how many fifths can be felt above the pelvis (i.e. how many fifths of the head are not engaged).

So it really depends on what your notes say - it's quite confusing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now