Talk

Advanced search

Steroid injections before C Section-anybody had this?

(16 Posts)
cherrypez Wed 15-Jul-15 18:21:39

I've got a C Section booked in for when I will be 38+3. I have been told I have to have steroid injections at 37+6 and 38+0 to prepare baby's lungs for birth...fair enough, I've had a C Section at 38 weeks before and dd had breathing issues.

My main query is, does it hurt? I remember reading on here it's incredibly painful. Will there be any side effects? Google seems undecided and I want to know if I'm ok to drive myself (45 minute drive) to and from the injections.

WinterBabyof89 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:23:55

I have no clue but hanging around to see what others say.. smile

Claramoon Wed 15-Jul-15 19:33:37

Hi I had this with ds. The injection did hurt a bit at the time but stopped within a minute or so of her finishing I think. So I wd say ok to drive (I was by myself and got tube home) though always nicer to have company if someone avail to drive you. Hope that helps!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 15-Jul-15 19:33:52

I think it is standard now for any early term section birth (before 39 weeks) to help the baby's lungs. I had them before having DS at 36 weeks.
They hurt a bit, it's like having a giant needle in the bum but I didn't find it too bad, just stings a bit.

zoemaguire Wed 15-Jul-15 19:42:52

I found the first one ok, the second was like being kicked by a horse- really bloody painful, sorry! But it was over in a few seconds, after that fine. Would certainly be able to drive afterwards. But you can do have a choice whether you definitely want to have it- dd2 was a planned c-section at 38+1 and my hospital said they only do steroids pre-38 weeks.

Topsy34 Thu 16-Jul-15 07:48:59

I would quer whether you need it or not as you would be over 38 weeks which is considered term

happysunr1se Fri 17-Jul-15 16:09:29

I had them in the top of the thigh. They were no more painful than any other injection and no side effects that I noticed, but they did create a large bruise. I would say how much it hurts or not is probably more down to the skill of whoever is injecting you.

bonzo77 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:14:16

I'm surprised they offer them after 37 weeks TBH. I guess it's and attempt to prevent respiratory distress syndrome, but I thought that was related more to the CS than to prematurity (which is when they offer steroids).

Anyhoo.... Yup, I had them in my bum cheek and it really fucking hurt, I'm afraid. Far worse than the normal vaccinations of blood tests. Brought tears to my eyes. They need to do it slowly.

cherrypez Sat 18-Jul-15 22:13:49

Well I guess I got my answer, thanks all. I don't want it done AT ALL, not because of the pain (although that doesn't exactly make it appealing!!) but because all the research I've done highlights reduced fetal movements. I know this will make me completely panicked and am dreading it. I've had a worrying pregnancy all along; high risk result for Edwards Syndrome, followed by a clear Harmony test but oh my god the torture of the wait...then I've had growth scans regularly because of low Papp-a blood results. Just want the little one here safely.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 18-Jul-15 22:15:25

It hurts but not that much.

You're about to have major abdominal surgery. THAT hurts.

SauvignonPlonker Sat 18-Jul-15 22:24:52

I've had steroids twice, as both my DC were premature. I didn't sleep so well after them, and it was a little sore around the injection sites (hips/thighs/bottom).

It's standard practice now in CS deliveries before 39 weeks. In natural deliveries, fluid is pushed out of the lungs as the chest is compressed in the birth canal. Obviously this doesn't happen in CS deliveries & babies are more at risk of ARDS. So steroids can reduce this risk.

andadietcoke Sat 18-Jul-15 22:28:36

Funnily enough it's that pain that I remember as opposed to the ELCS painconfused

It's an injection. It's over quickly. It hurts like anything though. I wasn't aware of this beforehand which was a good thing. No side effects but I had them very last minute (2nd injection was 12 hours before my section).

SauvignonPlonker Sat 18-Jul-15 22:31:18

PS Perez I was high risk too, after PE very early in my previous pregnancy & 2 m/c. Had low Papp-A too. Psychologically it was hellish & I really struggled. I just wanted baby out safely & was very risk-averse. But I still accepted the steroids as there is recent evidence about protecting babies' lungs.

andadietcoke Sun 19-Jul-15 08:04:32

cherrypez I've never pursued it, but I wasn't given the injections until the day before my section, in error. I'd asked whether I needed the injections and was told no (booked section at 38+0). Midwife stamped her feet at my pre op appointment and my injections were 24 and 12 hours before the DTs arrived. Despite being excellent weights (5.5 and 7.13) both had low oxygen saturation and ended up in SCBU. I've always suspected that maybe if I'd have had the injections earlier we might have avoided that.

bonzo77 Sun 19-Jul-15 09:53:06

The evidence is not new. It was old news in 1996 when I was training (did my first year of dental training with medics where we learnt about foetal development). Which means there is plenty of clinical data.

claracluck1978 Sun 19-Jul-15 10:23:42

I had them in top of my thighs over the course of 24 hours prior to my C-section at 35 weeks.
I won't lie, they were painful. I was warned they would hurt but the 2nd felt a lot worse than the first too! The pain didn't last long but the actual shot was worse than the C-section meds for me!
Good luck op

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now