Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping on my back?

(14 Posts)
ChocolatePebbles Wed 15-Jul-15 17:59:35

I'm currently 24 weeks and doggedly not sleeping in my back since the 2nd trimester. Sleeping on my side is getting more and more uncomfortable due to hip pain. I saw someone mention on FB today that they had been advised its not really a problem to sleep on your back till 20 weeks. What has everyone else been told? Can I get a few more decent nights sleep before baby comes along?

Appleblossom82 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:04:25

I sleep propped up on 3 pillows so that takes the pressure off your back. You are meant to avoid lying flat on your back for long periods of time from 16 weeks.

Appleblossom82 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:04:48

Im also 24 weeks

Gillian1980 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:05:09

I'm 34+5 and sleep on my back a lot, partly as I'm so uncomfortable on my sides and partly as it was my pre-pregnancy default sleep position. Even if I start on my side, wedged with cushions etc, I invariably wake up on my back.

I've asked lots of midwives (I never see the same one twice it seems) and a couple of consultants and none of them were at all concerned.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Wed 15-Jul-15 18:09:02

I feel for you, in the same situation. My midwife has been advising since 20+ weeks, not to sleep on my back (maybe just to get into the habit to start with). Last night was awful, pain in my right hip, swollen, painful arm from whooping cough injection on my left. Keep auto waking up if I'm on my back, suffice to say I didn't sleep last night. I personally think it's best to practice finding a good way to sleep on your side - pillow between legs is the advise I've been given, but I've also been given a PGP diagnosis (speak to your midwife next time you see her, you may have the starts of similar if you have hip pain).

Candlefairy101 Wed 15-Jul-15 19:26:31

Why are we not allowed to sleep on our backs ladies when we're pregnant? And when does this start? X

ARV1981 Wed 15-Jul-15 19:29:44

I asked my midwife about this, and was told it was fine to sleep on your back so long as you're propped up. I have three pillows to prop me up now. It kind of helps with the heartburn as well.

resipsa Wed 15-Jul-15 19:30:14

I'm 37 weeks now. Knew nothing about this advice when I had my first in 2011. This time round, I've tried to go to sleep on my side but always end up on my back. Had growth scan today and all on track so I wouldn't worry too much. Suspect the 'adverse to blood flow to baby' argument might be overstated.

scarednoob Wed 15-Jul-15 19:31:21

my pre-natal yoga teacher and mw both said that getting sleep is the most important thing. if you can lie on your side, it is better, but don't worry if it doesn't always happen.

I worried a lot about this, as I am a back sleeper and my shoulders/wrists are hating side sleeping. but as I got to about 27 weeks (28 today), I have found that it is really uncomfortable now to be flat on my back, as the weight of the baby/uterus presses down on everything.

candlefairy - it is because the heavy uterus presses on a vein and can make you very dizzy and light headed. sleeping on your left has the best circulation for the baby. most text books say 16-20 weeks.

there was also a study which found slightly increased rates of stillbirth in back and right sleepers, but this was a small proportion, and even the daily fail advised caution and not to panic when reading it!

ChocolatePebbles Thu 16-Jul-15 06:42:38

Thanks all. Went for a hybrid option last night. As long as I could on either side, then propped up but with a pillow under one side so that I wasn't actually flat. Wouldn't say I'm actually refreshed this morning, but there was a lot less tossing and turning smile

Fizzy13 Thu 16-Jul-15 14:02:02

I never used to sleep on my back but since about 20 weeks its the only way I seem to get any sleep. (now 29) I generally sleep propped up on a number of pillows. I didn't yesterday and got a bit light headed but as soon as I sat up a bit it went away. The blood flow problem is back to you from your legs, the baby is fine.
Its more important that you sleep than you always sleep on your side.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 16-Jul-15 19:39:32

My pregnancy pillow has been one of the best things I've bought. On my side wrapped around the pillow is bliss.

jurisane Thu 16-Jul-15 19:59:23

I was told sleeping on you back restricts the blood flowing back to your heart and NOT to the baby. This is why you can get dizzy when laying flat on your back but if you're propped up enough I don't think it matters. I had lots of trouble transitioning to side sleeping because I always slept on my stomach. I had a lot of hip and shoulder pain. A new mattress, to replace our ancient one, and a nice long pregnancy/body pillow has helped A LOT. I still can't sleep through the night because I have to keep rolling to the other side but at least my joints are better supported.

Shantotto Fri 17-Jul-15 09:53:13

I've been getting no sleep at all desperately trying to avoid sleeping on my back. I seem to have some prefnancy insomnia anyway so some nights have been terrible.

At my 38 week appointment this week my midwife told me not to worry and if I need to sleep on my back to do so - Id feel a bit dizzy maybe but nothing will happen to the baby.

I mentioned the stilbirth study and she just told me it was ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now