Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What happens after Canasten Pessary is inserted? Bit clueless...

(5 Posts)
Frillsandspills Wed 15-Jul-15 17:39:52

Sorry I'm a bit clueless with this as I've never had thrush before (never want it again either...)

I was given a Canasten Pessary yesterday by a doctor and I inserted it last night with the applicator although I've read you're not supposed to be my doctor didn't say anything so I assume it's ok.
Anyway, I put it in quite early last night no idea how far up or anything but as far as was comfortable.
I wore a sanitary towel today as I think as some of it has dissolved it's fallen out into the pad (sorry if tmi).

Is this normal? And how long should it take to dissolve? I don't think mine has fully dissolved yet really.
Will I notice a difference straight away with the discharge once it's dissolved?

Sorry for all the questions!

Tia

Junosmum Wed 15-Jul-15 17:57:43

Yeah, you shove it up (your aren't supposed to use the applicator if your pg but I'm sure it's fine) and then it slowly kind of melts and works it's way 'around' your vagina and a bit falls out. It leaves a kind of gloopy chalky residue on your pants. You should stop itching too.

Cornettoninja Wed 15-Jul-15 17:58:23

I think your experience sounds fairly normal.

I notice the residue for perhaps a day after and by then your discharge and symptoms should have returned to normal. If your still having symptoms three days after you might need to repeat the treatment.

They do recommend using a finger instead of an applicator but I don't think its something to unduly worry about unless you experience any new symptoms like pain, bleeding or discomfort.

Frillsandspills Wed 15-Jul-15 20:11:25

Thank you! I only put the applicator about as far as I would with my fingers anyway. I felt stupidly intimated by it!
Just wanted to check the 'aftermath' (for want of a better word) was normal.

CoffeeAndOranges Wed 15-Jul-15 20:58:44

Thanks for posting this, I have this joy to come next week as I have apparently got a touch of thrush, picked up in routine wee dip at the 20 week scan a week or so ago.

I don't have any itching although I have a sort of greenish discharge (can you get tmi on a thread about thrush?!) so I guess that must be it, although I have had plenty of discharge all through this pregnancy.

Will bear the 'fallout' in mind when it comes to me putting the pessary in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now