Talk

Advanced search

First period after miscarriage

(5 Posts)
lililand Wed 15-Jul-15 08:26:43

Hi everyone, this is my first post so hope I'm doing this right! I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks around 5 / 6 weeks ago. Most physically and emotionally painful experience of my life and happened during an extremely busy time at work, I realise now that didn't take the time that my body needed to recover. I took a week off work when the main part of the mc was happening then went back and got on with preparing for a big event (which just happened last Sunday). I had a scan 2.5 weeks ago and they said there was some blood left but nothing else to come out. Did a pregnancy test and still showed I was pregnant so they told me to do another one in a couple of weeks and call back if still pregnant. The doctor said that first period after a mc usually happens 4-6 weeks after pregnancy hormone drops to zero. Started having cramping pains 1.5 weeks ago and bleeding started on the weekend, nothing unmanageable until Monday morning when the pain and bleeding became much stronger. (Think my adrenaline had been keeping this at bay until the event was done and dusted - isn't the body incredible?!) Have now been bleeding heavily for three days and can't work out if this is a period or the remains of the miscarriage that showed in the scan... I spoke to the EPGU on Monday and they were fairly non-committal, pregnancy test now negative and they said as long as not soaking a pad every 15 minutes I should just ride it out. Feel pretty weak from losing this blood but not out of control. I just wondered if anybody else has had this pattern and any thoughts on whether its period or miscarriage remains? Thanks for listening x

sizethree Wed 15-Jul-15 08:38:59

I had a miscarriage in mid November but still showed pregnant on a test in early January. I too was 9 weeks oregnant. It can take several weejs for the HCG horemone to drop, therefore not show up on a test anymore.
As soon as you get a negative test it means you're likley to ovulate again soon, and therefore your period will turn up a couple of weeks kater.
It really is such a grim heartbreaking experience. I'm so very sorry you're going through this.
X

lililand Wed 15-Jul-15 08:59:26

Thank you sizethree and I'm so sorry you've been through a difficult time too. I wish you all the best for the future! It's such a weird confusing time isn't it? Incredible that your test still showed as pregnant 6 weeks after your mc, these things really take time I guess? From what you say sounds like the bleeding happening now is the remains of the mc and not a period. I just have to ride it out and hope for a more positive experience next time around. Thanks again for the advice x

lilac3033 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:22:02

So sorry you have had to go through this. I had a mmc (blighted ovum) discovered at my 12 week scan a year ago in March. It was awful. The worst part was the bleeding for me. It wasn't bad in terms of amount but just never ending, and I really wanted to get back on TTC. I bled for about 6 weeks and in that time it almost stopped twice. I had retained some of the pregnancy. Each time I was about to pass more of what was retained the bleeding would ramp right up. Unfortunately I think it is still the miscarriage. Sounds like what I had. The bleeding did stop immediately after passing the last of the tissue.

sizethree Wed 15-Jul-15 10:48:40

Things will get better when you're through this shitty bit.
I sadly had 3 losses over 2 years and now I'm 24 weeks pregnant. So hopefully I'll get my happy ending this time.
It really makes you appreciate how magical and precious life is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now