Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eeek. Can't hide the bump anymore

(12 Posts)
AmberRose17 Wed 15-Jul-15 08:22:30

21 weeks today and bump has sprung from nowhere over past three weeks. Having spent my whole life hiding my tummy I have realised that figure hugging maternity clothes look best (or least worst). So off to work today in a stretchy black shift dress. Was offered a seat instantly on commute. Sooooo shy and nervous. Something deeply private is suddenly public. Does this get easier?

Fugghetaboutit Wed 15-Jul-15 08:32:19

I know what you mean, although mine became v obvious at 14 weeks.

People will be happy for you, don't worry it's a lovely thing!

Nolim Wed 15-Jul-15 08:33:35

Wear your bump proudly! As a badge of honour. If anything ppl would think that you are a lucky woman and look adorable.

IkeaYoukea Wed 15-Jul-15 08:35:10

What's deeply private about being pregnant?

angelicjen Wed 15-Jul-15 08:37:23

Show it off and enjoy your beautiful bump! It's natural and wonderful. And it's only gonna get bigger.

MadC0w Wed 15-Jul-15 08:44:09

Totally agree! At a similar stage I hated walking around in public, I felt like everyone was looking at my bump (they probably weren't), and that everyone 'knew my business'. That feeling lasted a few weeks for me, now I really don't care!

PontyGirl Wed 15-Jul-15 08:46:53

Actually I can relate to this. I like to go through life relatively unnoticed, and I felt once I had my bump that everyone was staring or noticing - and obviously, they weren't. It's just new territory for you, you'll get used to it... and then it'll be gone and you'll have a baby to get used to instead! congratulations thanks thanks

AmberRose17 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:42:20

Thanks everyone! Yes, you're right - with any luck this is only going to go one way. An illusion of anonymity is one of the reasons I love living in a big city. Guess I'll just get used to this eventually!

lauraa4 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:49:11

Don't worry I was like that for a while smile when me and DP used to go out food shopping or for a meal I used to think EVERYONE was staring at my stomach which made me feel very self conscious. I'm 30 weeks now and don't care anymore

MrsGentlyBenevolent Wed 15-Jul-15 11:26:33

I'm the opposite, been hoping for weeks that someone (anyone!) would notice my bump. Especially when I had to do a mad dash through London a few weeks ago. No one did sad. In fact, one train conductor needed me to move my suitcase and didnt even offer to help even though it was obviously heavy and I was obviously pregnant.

Did have one nice waitress in the pub 'suggest' I was careful if going into the beer garden, due to minor works, seem to be pointedly because of bump - that made my day! I'm trying to milk this as much as I can grin.

Nolim Wed 15-Jul-15 13:27:32

MrsGentlyBenevolent while in london wear a baby on board badge which you can get at any tube station, tends to make ppl more considerate.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Wed 15-Jul-15 14:36:38

Cheers Nolim, however I'm barely down there (thank goodness wink). In fact, I may not see London until after baby arrives now. I'm the worst type of person down London way, mostly know where I'm going, until I get confused and end up walking the opposite way into daily commuters. I'm best keeping away from the place grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now