Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Telling a three year old about C section- what to say?

(10 Posts)
geekymommy Tue 14-Jul-15 17:12:05

I'm scheduled for a planned C section on Thursday morning. I have a DD who will be 3 next month. So far, I've been telling her that they're going to take the baby out of Mommy's tummy at the hospital on Thursday, that I will be in the hospital for a few days, and that I won't be able to pick her up for a while after the baby is born. She hasn't asked for any more details, and I'm a bit stumped as to what to say if she did. Anyone have experience talking to a 3 year old about a C section?

Iggi999 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:15:57

I talked to mind at that age about his own, I think it's probably easier than explaining a vaginal birth! I just said the doctor made a cut in my tummy to take him out and then sewed it up again.

geekymommy Tue 14-Jul-15 18:02:16

I'm a little worried about freaking her out talking about them making a cut in my tummy to take the baby out. Did yours have a problem with that?

Keeptrudging Tue 14-Jul-15 18:04:31

I said it was like a special zip, so it didn't sound so gory. Then again, my other child 'came down on a rainbow' so I'm probably not the best person to advise grin!

Marchhairy Tue 14-Jul-15 18:07:24

We just told DS1 who was 3 when I had DS2 by c-sec how mummy couldn't pick him up but could hold his hand, and he could sit next to me for a cuddle, concentrated on how to deal with situation rather than what actually happened. 'Mummy has a sore tummy so need to be gentle' etc.
The main thing when I was in hospital was to keep talking about when I was coming home as being away from him was the big problem. Good luck!

MissesandMuddles Tue 14-Jul-15 18:16:56

I'm scheduled for a elcs on Thursday too.

My boys are a little bit older and younger than yours, 4 and nearly 2. I've told them both about the operation. The younger one has little understanding of what's going on, simply that the baby will be coming out of mummy's tummy. The older one has been really interested and asked questions but not in a gory way, just in a completely matter of fact way. He wasn't freaked out. They've also both seen the scar from previous sections which has helped their understanding.

Good luck for Thurs!

Iggi999 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:00:24

Good luck for tomorrow smile No the cutting idea didn't bother him. Probably less disturbing than explaining what a vagina is!

BikeRunSki Thu 16-Jul-15 00:17:33

Ds was 3 and a month when dd was born. I'd planned a vbac, but had a crash section. DS knew I was going to hospital to have the baby. He hadn't asked how she was going to get out. After she was born we told him that the Drs had helped her by cutting a hole in my tummy, which they then sewed up to mend me, but it was a bit sore. Then much the same as iggi and march.

TweeBee Thu 16-Jul-15 05:24:42

Could you say that you have special medicine so it doesn't hurt at all when they do it? Hope all goes well x

newbian Thu 16-Jul-15 08:17:58

I was almost 4 when my brother was born via c-section. Now I grew up in a medical family so in matters like this no one ever beats around the bush, but I've been aware as long as I can remember that both of us were delivered by section and that it meant a surgery to the stomach to get the baby out. I remember later on learning that most babies aren't born like that and being more confused about the natural way than by what I'd known previously. Kids have no expectations about how birth happens so I wouldn't worry.

Hope it all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now