Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Allowance?

(10 Posts)
Brooke113 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:58:09

Just a quick question as I'm not having much look with Google. I know I don't qualify for smp as I don't earn enough per week. I haven't paid ni for a while now because I've been in a low paid, term time only job, do you have to pay ni contributions to claim Ma?

soloula Tue 14-Jul-15 16:06:16

www.gov.uk/pay-leave-for-parents

This link might help you smile

Brooke113 Tue 14-Jul-15 16:14:49

After putting all our info in, that says I can have shared leave, that's it, so don't think I qualify for Ma sad

primarynoodle Tue 14-Jul-15 16:22:50

hi op i have extensively researched ma! if you answer the questions i can hopefully tell you if u if u can get it and how much.

1) counting back from your due date will u have worked for at least 26 out of the past 66 weeks?
2) over any of those 13 weeks, not necessarily together, will you have earnt over £30 a week before tax/ni?
3) if yes to q2, how much do you earn per week?

the highest amount of ma you can get is the highest amount of weekly income you can get before paying income tax and national insurance (i.e. 155 per week) so you may well qualify even if you dont get the maximum amount of ma

LumpyCustard69 Tue 14-Jul-15 16:23:57

Do you already have a child? If so, by claiming Child Benefit, the government covers your NI contributions.
You are definitely best off going to your local jobcentre and making an appointment to discuss it with them. If you're not entitled to Maternity allowance, you may be allowed Income Support or some other benefit. I don't know all the ins and outs, but someone there will definitely be able to help you. Don't get down about it, I don't think you have all the information. I find the government websites on benefits a tangle of confusion tbh. I always speak to a real person!! They are always more helpful and definitely more reassuring!!

Brooke113 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:02:44

Thanks ladies, I will definitely book an appointment nearer the time.

I currently only work term time and have reduced my hours recently due to health reasons, so I'm currently only earning around £50 per week. From what I'd read online so far, because I haven't paid ni, I wouldn't qualify for ma.

primarynoodle Tue 14-Jul-15 18:44:56

i will qualify for ma but do not pay ni because i only earn 150 pw so for ma i will get about 130pw.

as long as you have been working term time only for around a year you will have clocked up enough weeks for ma but if its only been £50 pw then you will only get around £45 pw maternity allowance (90% of your average earnings)

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Tue 14-Jul-15 18:46:58

I work term time only on a zero hours contract averaging about £50 a week in good times, I got MA so would think you could?

LumpyCustard69 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:00:15

Don't leave it too late. You will need an smp form from your employer, and your matb1 form from your midwife, as well as a bucket load of payslips. It should be easy enough for them to work out for you. Good luck.

Brooke113 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:46:59

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now