Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to work on pregnancy anxiety? Am I being stupid?

(4 Posts)
Frillsandspills Tue 14-Jul-15 14:58:51

I'm 17 weeks and 4 days today, had a private scan a week ago today and all was fine. Over the past few days I've been getting sharp pains and cramps which I've been putting down to stretching however I just can't shake the anxiety that something is wrong.

this wasn't a planned pregnancy but i can't put into words how much I want and love this baby already and I'm so scared something will go wrong.

I called my hospital about the pains and they said I'm more than welcome to go in and be checked over for peace of mind. I'm just in the bath easing any cramps and I'm going to go in afterwards. I don't want to waste there time as it probably is just everything stretching and growing but I can't take my mind off the possibility something is wrong. I can't feel much in the way of movements just yet so perhaps that's why I'm so concerned. My 20 week scan isn't for another 3 weeks, but I know I'll feel better afterwards if all goes well.

Is it silly of me to go and get checked out? I don't want to seem like some crazy woman who rushes to the hospital at every twinge but it's been bothered me for the past few days, and I know if everything is ok it'll put my mind at rest if I get any cramps and things again.
Then touch wood everything is okay, how do I move forward and stop thinking the worst? I thought after 12 weeks my anxiety would decrease but if anything it's only got worse.

NickyEds Tue 14-Jul-15 15:38:32

Go. They would always rather see you and it be nothing than not see you and it be something. It will help put your mind at rest although it does sound like normal pregnancy stretching. Have you discussed your anxiety with your community mw? Might be worth giving her a call.

soloula Tue 14-Jul-15 16:11:13

It does sound like your uterus stretching to accommodate baby but I'd definitely call maternity assessment and see if you can get checked or speak to someone to put your mind at ease. I'd always prefer to be the neurotic pregnant woman and know everything's ok. Saying that, midwives are always very understanding as whatever you're worrying about they'll be more than used to it. I've never been made to feel like I'm overreacting or needlessly worrying. Better to put your mind than worry what if.

Frillsandspills Tue 14-Jul-15 16:29:44

Thank you, I'm going to go to get checked out in a min.. Better to be safe than sorry.

I will mention my anxiety to my midwife when i see her at 20 weeks. I'm a natural worrier I just can't help it. One of my relatives had a stillbirth at 32 weeks (approx) due to her placenta failing, then had to have her second child delivered at 27 weeks however she is doing brilliantly now. I think things like that being so close to home has my anxiety levels through the roof!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now