Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Non-pregnancy related illness & mat leave?

(11 Posts)
Skeppers Tue 14-Jul-15 08:22:21

Hi. I've tried looking on other threads but can't find anything that addresses my specific query.

I have a rotten ear infection. It's really flared up since Friday when I had my ears syringed; think that the syringing may have irritated my inner ear, I always have flippin' problems with them (freakishly small ear canals, always getting blocked, etc). Anyway, I can't sleep, I am 36+2 and at work for another week and a half before starting mat leave. I feel miserable; the pain is rapidly spreading from my ear into my jaw/head on that side and it's agony if I accidentally roll onto it in the night. I am going to make a doctor's appointment this PM to (hopefully) get some antibiotics, but this probably won't be until much later in the week. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since Saturday and I was sleeping like a log before then.

If I were to take a couple of days sickness absence, would that trigger my maternity leave, even though it's completely non-pregnancy related? Is there a national standard, or would it depend on my employer?

Thanks in advance! smile

diploddycus Tue 14-Jul-15 08:27:11

I don't have the answer but am interested because my husband and I had this conversation last night, I have a stinking cold and am vomity. I'm only 25 weeks though.

Nottalotta Tue 14-Jul-15 08:29:05

It shouldn't trigger your maternity. I was off sick with non pregnant illness up until the last day that i could be but am back at work because i just knew i would have a massive fight on my hands.

See if the GP will do a sick note for you anyway. Even though its not required.

Nottalotta Tue 14-Jul-15 08:30:55

Its the last 4 wks before you are due but your employer may well have an odd way of counting weeks. Mine rather helpful wrote to me and told me what that date was off(more like 5 weeks before due date)

Skeppers Tue 14-Jul-15 08:38:40

diploddycus You'll be fine at 25 weeks, I think it only applies from week 36/37 onwards.

Nottalotta Thanks. I'll speak with the doctor when I have my appointment (god knows when that will be! I'll make one this PM). I'm literally doing nothing at work at the moment anyway, all my handovers, etc. are done ready for my mat leave and it's SOOOOOO quiet at the moment I don't think they'd exactly miss me! Just feels a bit pointless sitting here in agony when I could be quietly convalescing and catching up with some sleep during the day at home.

Whatabout Tue 14-Jul-15 09:35:30

It only triggers if illness after 36 weeks is pregnancy related, maybe get gp to specifiy that in a note?

Penguinandminipenguin Tue 14-Jul-15 12:20:47

No, the ear infection isn't pregnany related, so it shouldn't trigger your ML to start. Hope you feel better soon.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 14-Jul-15 12:55:36

It's only after 36 weeks AND if it's pregnancy related so you'll be fine. There are some conditions that are debatable e.g. bad back, but I think they'd have difficulty arguing an ear problem is pregnancy related.

UpUpAndAway123 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:30:45

No because it is not pregnancy related x

Skeppers Tue 14-Jul-15 14:10:18

Thanks all. It's definitely getting worse; even over the course of today my jaw is locking up on that side- I can't clench my teeth- and my face is inflamed...sad

Skeppers Tue 14-Jul-15 16:11:01

Couldn't get a doctor's appt til next Tues shock but fortunately I saw MW this pm for a regular check and she managed to get it moved for me to tomorrow at 2pm...THANK CHRIST. If anyone has any tips on how to manage the pain until the antibiotics kick in I'm all ears! ('Scuse the pun).

Paracetamol is the only thing I can take but it doesn't touch the sides... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now