Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spinal during c section...anyone else have experience of side effects?

(8 Posts)
Mamamia321 Mon 13-Jul-15 23:27:44

Had an emergenc c s last week following failed induction. Have some back issues anyway but they had returned en force since op. numb and tingly g, some weakness, pain in sacro Ileac, cold sensations etc. v sciatica type stuff. Anyone esr had this?

chloechloe Tue 14-Jul-15 11:30:14

The only side effects I had were immediately after the op - itching and very bizzarely feeling my legs in a different place to where they actually were! I would maybe give the hospital a call - did they give you an info sheet re possible side effects and things to watch out for?

JJXM Tue 14-Jul-15 12:25:46

I had a bad reaction to the epidural when they pierced my durum and I had an unbearable headache and the anaesthetists had to take me back into theatre for a blood patch.

If you are concerned then ask to speak to someone in the anaesthetic team?

Cockbollocks Tue 14-Jul-15 12:30:08

I have a numb left bum cheek, with intermittent cold sensation. Also lots of pain in my coccyx that is slowly improving (I can sit for longer now) I would speak to the midwife or see your gp.

Roomba Tue 14-Jul-15 12:43:05

I've had two spinals for c-sections. If I poke the spot where I had the first one inserted, it feels very odd and sends a tingling sensation down my leg. Doesn't hurt though. Absolutely nothing from the second one. It was very painful and a very odd sensation when the first one was inserted, and I was shocked when I didn't even feel the second one being put in as it was done so quickly and so well!

Mamamia321 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:05:52

It's not pain that bothers me its th feeling that my leg is a bit weak And the cold, numb, tingly sensations. I did google I and there were lots of weird things so did not read! Will all hospital tmrw see what they SA. I was really out of it when they took me to theatre, they were listing all these side effects and gave me something to sign but tbh they had to get her out and I just agreed without thinking. My one concen is that they did not read m notes and injected into the region wher I hav a slipped disc!

BlackeyedPetitsPois Tue 14-Jul-15 20:21:47

Very numb cold feeling bum cheek on one side, numbness around the sacral area. I do remember a bit of sciatica but doc told me that the procedure could have bruised the area a bit and that it would settle.
The numbness went after about 3 month and the sciatic settled sooner.

If you are at all concerned then chat to your GP or midwife. I'm sure things will settle as you've had a major operation.

And congratulations btw!

Mamamia321 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:02:47

I have just seen anaesthetist. He said could be due to spinal or could be to do with my disc being aggravated.
He said to look out for urinary or bowel incontinence, foot drop, seve back pain, headache or stiff neck or photo sensitivity none of which I have, right leg still strong and weakness intermittent. He believes will settle within six weeks or will ndicate disc. For nerve damage need neurologist and back need orthopaedic. At any rate he said that As it was emergency spinal was only option. I am reassured by this and will just have to hope it goes I guess. Baby well and I need to focus on that . God childbirth is fraught is it not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now